Overload

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend using a multi socket to plug my TV, DVD, Surround sound system, games console and amplifier into 1 plug socket. Would this overload the socket?

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought it unlikely (recall you can plug a 3kW electric fire in there) but you need to check the labels and see what the total load is, to know for sure.

But woudn't you be much better of using a fused trailing socket ? The fuse would ensure you didn't overload the socket.

13A at 230v = 2990W.

I would use a 6 way trailing socket, preferably with switches so if you want you can switch individual items off.

I think these trailing sockets are great for low power items such as AV stuff, but not for anything meaty.

I live in a housing executive house with extremely substandard wiring which when i first discovered i immediately purchased more smoke alarms but through a 1 gang 13amp socket which is spurred off a ring i have my computer,moniter,sound system,28"tv,video,xbox,ps2,beer fridge and desk light through 3, 4 gang trailing leads and have not had any problems in over 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Paul6756 said:
I intend using a multi socket to plug my TV, DVD, Surround sound system, games console and amplifier into 1 plug socket. Would this overload the socket?

Thanks.

Paul

check out the input power requirements of the surround sound system and the amplifier theese could be non-trivial. other than that i doubt you will find any problems.

power requirements are usually marked on a sticker on the back of equipment. in any case the plug fuse in the extention lead should blow before any damage is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back