Power to an aerial amplifier in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

a quick scan of previous questions didnt quite answer the question I have so here it is.

I want to split my loft aerial signal three ways around the house - all in different directions, so a bit of a pain but never mind. The question is the power to the amplifier. Previously I have taken a spur from a lighting rose, plumbed it in to a joist mounted socket (on pattress) and plugged the amplifier in to that, but (although unlikely as in deepest darkest recesses of loft) I am concerned that someone could plug in a high wattage device in to the plug socket and overload the light circuit. I think its OK for amplifier as they are very low wattage. Its unlikely I would be able to get a ring main spur in to the loft succesfully.

Should I put the same scheme in, or should I have a junction box rather than the socket so no-one can use it incorrectly? Or is there a better way I have missed.

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Maybe hard wire the amp via a FCU ( Fused Connection Unit ) that way there is no plug for people to plug anything into.

label the socket!

and if someone ignores it and it gets overloaded the 6amp breaker for the lights will trip. sounds ok to me (in this situation).

sm1thson said:
label the socket!

and if someone ignores it and it gets overloaded the 6amp breaker for the lights will trip. sounds ok to me (in this situation).

The OP didnt say if he had breakers or fuses in the Consumer Unit/Fuse Box

Sponsored Links
Refer to recent thread on Cost of Replacing Consumer unit for a picture of my rather complicated CU arrangement...which phase should I put the amp on ;)

Old style MCB's btw.

James

There is a better way. No need for power in the loft. Install a masthead amplifier and install its power unit at any convenient power socket downstairs that a drop-lead passes. This could be near the main TV set or a bedroom TV set.

As analogue transmissions will be switched off soon, I assume this is for a digital "Freeview" system so you'll be using fully-screened coaxial cable and wall plates.

Rather than writing an essay, I'll just point you to this information page:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/amps.htm#masthead

Thanks, that does seem a better option. Satcure seem to have everything I need, so will give them a shout.

James

Please let us know how you get on. When I installed mine I also used a "diplexer" system so I could minimise cable runs by combining the satellite feed with the aerial feed. But note that if you do that I don't think you can feed the masthead supply through the diplexer wall plate. (It all gets a bit complicated. Draw a diagram).

Mine will just be for Freeview (I dislike giving 'that aussie' any money), a splitter/amp next to aerial in loft, then three/four feeds all in different directions around the house. One is already in, but want to feed two/three furthur rooms each with own decoder box.

Will post results as time permits the job to be done!!! Although other half getting desparate for a decent signal in bedroom. I keep telling her to watch some DVD's instead, you know, the special foreign ones, but she seems more interested in CSI.....

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back