Overloaded Main Fuses and Supply Incomer.

K

kai

5919688302_92c3dbb2c2_b.jpg

This looks like an overloaded mains supply - Multiple flats and a Landlord's supply in a Victorian conversion, all running off one ancient supply - there is a 10.5. kw shower in every flat, I am surprised that it hasn't burnt out by now. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This looks like an overloaded mains supply - Multiple flats and a Landlord's supply in a Victorian conversion, all running off one ancient supply - there is a 10.5. kw shower in every flat, I am surprised that it hasn't burnt out by now. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Am I missing something here? There appear to be 5 fuses but only 4 neutrals (assuming one, probably the black-taped red {!}, is the feed).

Kind Regards, John.

Am I missing something here? There appear to be 5 fuses but only 4 neutrals (assuming one, probably the black-taped red {!}, is the feed).

Possibly one directly from the cut-out, which we can't see at the angle of the shot?

Sponsored Links
Possibly one directly from the cut-out, which we can't see at the angle of the shot?
Yes, maybe. As EFLI has pointed out, I miscounted the fuses - so we're looking for two hidden neutrals, perhaps both directly from the cutout.

Surprising tjose the set-up is, I presume the DNO must have done it. Any guesses as to the size of that incoming cable?

Kind Regards, John.

Any guesses as to the size of that incoming cable?

2c .04 sq inch. Good for about 140A (but the bottom terminals of the cutout are only rated to 120A max.)

We have something similar here with a similar number of small 2 bed houses fed of a single phase cable. We did a load check over a few days and the maximum recorded current was 85A.

Looking at the photo it looks as if there has been excessive heat near the 4th fuse from the left

2c .04 sq inch. Good for about 140A (but the bottom terminals of the cutout are only rated to 120A max.)
Thanks.
We have something similar here with a similar number of small 2 bed houses fed of a single phase cable. We did a load check over a few days and the maximum recorded current was 85A.
There's obviously a lot of chance involved. In the situation we are discussing here, there seem to be 6 flats, each with 10.5kW showers, not to mention anything else - and 3 of those 6 showers being used simultaneously would get you more-or-less to the limit of the supply. However, showers are normally used for only fairly short periods of time. When you say that the cable is 'good for about 140A', is that continuous, or would it be OK with a fair bit more for short periods of time?

Kind Regards, John.

'good for about 140A', is that continuous

That will be continuous (not at work so no access to our ratings tables), we do not assign short term "overload" ratings to cables of this size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back