OVERLOADING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way I can test a shower circuit for overloading with a multimeter if so how do you do it and what readings should I look for in a circuit for a 9.5kw shower

Sponsored Links
You have just told me the load is 9.5kw, so what is it you were planning to measure with the multimeter?

I assume you want to know if the cable and fuse/mcb are correct for this 9.5kw shower?

This shower will pull just over 41 amps.

Therefore you need a cable rated to more than 41 amps. 6mm cable is pushing it and not really suitable but 10mm cable is ok.

Now you need a fuse/mcb rated more than the shower (41 amps) but rated less than the 10mm cable (up to 64 amps depending on installation method, keep it out of insulation). So a 50a mcb is good here.

Voltage drop needs to be considered, 10mm cable using the above shower will be ok up to about 50 metres. If it needs to be longer than that then use 16mm cable!

Can't see where the multimeter comes in? Have I misunderstood what you wanted?

Sponsored Links
i think he wants to "put a meter on it" to see what current it really is drawing.

but to get a meter that will allow 40+ A it would be humungus, to test current that high you would use a "clamp" tester such as

TMY136AA.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back