?Oversailing at DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lived in my current house for over 20 years now- 1940s semi. I must admit, I never pay close attention to brick work etc, but I know there are no cracks or obvious signs of subsidence.

I'm planning on resurfacing my driveway and as part of this, I've had a really good look at the DPC. I can see there an overhang from the bricks above the DPC of ?3mm. This extends all around the original house. I presume this has been like this for some time. There are no cracks in the brickwork.

After a quick search (google) ?is this oversailing? I'm not sure what this means for the house or what I should do about it?
Photo included
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 209
Sponsored Links
Is that brickwork part of a bay window?

it’s possible the brickwork has shifted a tiny bit, but if it’s a bay, I wouldn’t worry.

I used to rent a big industrial unit, it was built with concrete blocks. A skip lorry reversed into the building and knocked a pillar back about 75mm - on the dpc. So it’s certainly true, it can act as a slip plane.

Thanks.
This photo is under the bay window (looks particularly pronounced there). but it does extend down the side of the property as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back