Overtile or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am not sure why the thread was locked? I have taken off a couple more tiles and you can see this material, any idea what it was? I did smell a lot like like plaster. 20200511_160914.jpg

The original tiles are on plasterboard fixed to studs, its a timber kit house. These original tiles like i say are absolutely solid and fairly flat, could i get away with overtiling if i use mapei prim eco prim grip and bal single part flexible? The new tiles are the same size as the originals and i really don't want to have to remove the original tiles.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would bal white star fibre enhanced be suitable or am I better with powdered adhesives? Here is some more of that residue on the original tiles20200512_003539.jpg

your overthinking it.
tile and bath co can supply you trade adhesive to tile straight over the original layer

Sponsored Links
I don’t use bal products when tiling so have no experience on them to answer the question . @JamieH seems to be a pro tiler who may have used bal products . although his take on tiling over tile may be different.
topps tiles sell it , their employees should be able to give you a yay or nay.

Hello ross94, the big issue here is the weight you are adding to your existing tiles by tiling over them. All substrates have a maximum weight limit after which there is a risk of debonding. Plaster skimmed walls have a max weight is 20kg sqm, bare plasterboard is 32kg sqm, tile backer boards and construction boards up to 100kg sqm depending on which one. It sounds like your tiles are on either bare plasterboard or more likely plaster skim. In either case though I would guess that you would exceed the recommended safe limit for your substrate. If it was me I wouldn't risk it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back