Own brand Vs big brand mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a look at various different thermostatic options for a new shower and I'm wondering if it is worth it to shell out big bucks for a hansgrohe or similar

We're looking at a concealed unit that can run both a drench and a normal shower head with both being on at the same time.

There just seems to be a big difference between the cheap end and then hansgrohe or similar, not much in the middle.

Realistically is it worth going for a hansgrohe? Do you gain that much or is it a case of being able to easily get spares over the life of the mixer?

Sponsored Links
With a concealed mixer it's always worth going for a big brand name where spares are readily available. Go for own brand and you'll find that you're ripping tiles off the wall in a couple of years time to replace the entire valve when you can't find a cartridge to screw in, and wishing you'd not bought cheap in the first place. Good quality branded kit tends to last longer before any maintenance is required, and spares are then readily available when you need them

Cheers @muggles that was one of my concerns. At least with the hansgrohe you can be assured that parts will be available. I've poked some holes in the walls and we'll be able to easily fit one in depth wise which seems to be one concern with their installation.

Are there any other reliable, readily repairable brands out there? I keep hearing conflicting reports of Mira that they are just cheap rat with a badge, but some professionals say they've never been called back to a job where they've fitted a Mira (then again, maybe the job they did was so bad the client never called them back when the shower broke)

Mira are decent valves, but there are many horror stories about very poor aftercare from them should you suffer a failure within the warranty period. I've spoken to several people who have accused them of trying to wriggle out of their warranty obligations. Spares are readily available should you need them

My go-to brand is Aqualisa, who offer both good quality products and great aftercare service in the unlikely event that something does go wrong. Their digital showers are worth a look as well as the traditional valves.

Other good makes include Bristan, Crosswater, and Vado

Sponsored Links
We're looking at a concealed unit that can run both a drench and a normal shower head with both being on at the same time.
What is the water flow rate and pressure at the hot & cold bath taps ? How is the hot water heated ?

What is the water flow rate and pressure at the hot & cold bath taps ? How is the hot water heated ?

Hot water is from a large invented cylinder. Operating at 2.1 bar. Not had a chance to check the flow rate, but its on the list to do. Hopefully today! According to the manufacturer it should've good for 2.1 bar and I saw a demonstrator in a show room running at 1.4 off a combination which was decent.

I can only assume the lad had lots of 22mm pipe going spare as he's ran it everywhere so should help matters. Also the hot water tank is on the other side of the wall from where the shower is going so very short run of pipe.

Have fitted many bristan shower mixers and they do the job very well.For 2 shower outlets running simultaneously You will need their 'Descent' three control shower valve with integral twin stopcocks (other makes are available).

Hot water is from a large invented cylinder.
That should supply sufficient flow & water pressure (y)

Just checked by filling a bucket in the bath for 6 seconds then multiplying by 10. Got about 24L/min. God bless the plumber and his big pipes lol.

We're going for the hansgrohe as we both like the style. Nearly went for a Vado, but the wife has the casting vote. Turns out that the eye watering price we were looking at was because the fancy shower head the wife wanted is £230. Once you go for a watering can head the price gets back in line. The units are available pretty cheap, new, from eBay and a few other places.

You don't get variable flow rates from each device (on or off only) which was a concern but then I though the only time I've ever used lower power settings on a mixer is as I pass them on the way to full pelt.

Thanks for the help lads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back