Own Company qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, im on an apprentership and at the end of it want to go chasing the money while im still young. The thing is i dont really know whats what when it comes to gettin it goin.

When i finish i'll have city and guilds 2391 qualification.
So do i need to do an additional testin course or is that all covered by the 2391 qualification?

Apart from that is it just the NIC part and some insurance and then i could get on my way?

Advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are thinking of self employed?

Times are changing I think most people will agree self employed isn't like what it used to be, health and safety is a main factor. A lot of sites now ban steps and insist on a tower, think of the time it would take to build a tower rather then pop up some steps.

You need to buy a van, your responsible for tyres and service etc. If your employed its generally included in the package, I get a car:cool:

Want to take a 2 week break to sunnier climates, who'll pay you while your away? I'll be sitting in the sun getting full pay :LOL:

Think carefully before you decide, chasing money you will and Im sure you will invoice someone and be waiting for your money and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, get the picture

fattony said:
I assume you are thinking of self employed?

Times are changing I think most people will agree self employed isn't like what it used to be, health and safety is a main factor. A lot of sites now ban steps and insist on a tower, think of the time it would take to build a tower rather then pop up some steps.

You need to buy a van, your responsible for tyres and service etc. If your employed its generally included in the package, I get a car:cool:

Want to take a 2 week break to sunnier climates, who'll pay you while your away? I'll be sitting in the sun getting full pay :LOL:

Think carefully before you decide, chasing money you will and Im sure you will invoice someone and be waiting for your money and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, get the picture

On the other hand....if everyone thought like that we would all be jobless as there would be no companies to work for (in theory ;))

Sponsored Links
Go for it, give it a go, I did the same 10 years ago and haven't looked back Just rememeber start of small, invest in a good test kit I have a fluke 1653 its a very good tester. Second thing on the list is to get part P, now this can be the E.C.A or the N.I.C.E.I.C or one of the other various body's that are about, I think one of the minimine requirements is 2 jobs just to prove your compentance. Do this for a couple of years to build up your experiance. Then fully join one of the above bodys then you can start to move in on commercial and industrial side of installation work, It does sound a lot to take in but do it in your own time dont rush it will pay of just think of the long term benifits not short term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back