P trap, S trap, running S trap and clap trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need to do simple replacement to waste trap under kitchen sink but it's proving difficult.

Have bought a range of new bits from B&Q but can't get em to fit. The pictures show:

• existing set up
    set up with damaged parts missing
    parts which need to be replaced

I have tried every permutation of the the parts above but think there's probably a simple workaround. The kitchen is about 30 years old and the old duffer at B&Q said the old pipes were about 45mm whereas everything now is 40mm. However he didn't think this would make a difference.

Just need to know whether I need to replace everything or just the missing bits. If the latter what current equivalents are there?

Many thanks

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
looking at your set up a mcalpine WM2 will do the trick.
WM2_stdv8.jpg

any plumbers merchants that stock mcalpine most do.
i think bq now only stock marley.

Sponsored Links
Plumb Center any plumbers merchants.

If i remember correctly , BandQ waste fittings are not compatible with the standard waste fittings. I think there is 2mm size difference. This may be where u are having trouble getting them to fit.

Many thanks

Will go to Plumb Centre

(Wonder why B&Q parts are different size? Seems insane)

Hi again

Bought the kit from local Plumb Centre and fitted.

Only problem is that water is now leaking when the dishwasher discharges into the compression joint. Have tightened the locking nut but it's no use.

Is there a special way that the integral black washer and the rigid nylon one that came with the compression joint are supposed to be fitted?

Thanks

L

Hi

Sorry to be thick but I didn't know you had to cut off the end of the nozzle so no I didn't!!

Can you explain where and how exactly.

Ta

L

Rubber washer needs to be fitted first, with taper into the socket. Then nylon washer, then nut.

The spigot that sticks out for you to attach outlet hose from dishwasher is manufactured with a sealed end, this stops water leaking out should it not have an appliance connected. You cut it to match the diameter of the outlet hose from dishwasher or washing machine, I always fit a jubilee clip to secure the hose on just in case!

Ha Ha

I feel so bloody embarrassed!!

The thought that it was sealed did cross my mind for about 0.5 seconds but then I decided that it couldn't be.

(I also have my jubilee clip ready)

Many thanks for your time.

:rolleyes:

You arent the first and certainly wont be last! Know of several customers Currys/Comet have fitted machines for and didnt check the outlet was open to drain! (And others who've removed a machine then wondered why the washing up water is in the cupboard under the sink.... :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back