Paint a metal/steel front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope i can get some advice on repainting our front door, i was 99% sure our door was made of wood but the other half insisted it was metal, to prove her point she took the sander to the door to show me! As far as i can tell this door has a wooden core in the center and is cover by metal on the outside and the inside.

We would like to repaint it as the old paint looks pretty shoddy, previous owners did a naff job at having a go!

I would appreciate it if you could advise me on how to prep the door, the type of paints i will require and what sort of brushes and roller i should use.

I have googled and watched a few youtube videos (mostly american videos of metal doors). Most say to sand the door with a light grit paper to allow for better adhesion.

I've attached 2 pics to help.

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread, but I've stumbled across it in search results (which makes it relevant!). This is an interesting solution from B&Q:

You need to prime the bare metal areas, with a special metals primer.

Take note if there is any rusting taking place, since that heavy sanding has exposed the bare metal. If there is, after applying the special metals primer, then apply a rust killing primer.

Sponsored Links
That is the first time I have ever seen anyone painting an inward opening front door from the outside with the door shut...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back