Paint a wall or use oak panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my new home needs some renovation, at least painting, but I was looking at oak panels, although they are more expensive in UK, they should be kind of immortal, I would hate painting the house again in 5y or so.

I could make it with the price, the problem is that I thought to what would happen if any water leak or infiltration from the outside came up, how would I notice? By the time I noticed, everything rotted inside…
This issue is quite a deadly threat for a stick frame home (or whatever wood frame) and I’m thinking that it’s just an unnecessary risk.

In case you wonder, the expense is 2k max against 7k with panels, bathrooms probably not included, I’d like to make it full tiles, excluding the ceiling.
House size 83 m2.

The plaster has 10y already, I hope I don’t need to remove that first , if I paint it now, how long will it last? Supposedly using the best paint, many layers and a finishing coat as water repellent.
All will be done by a professional, I won’t have the time to do it all by myself while living inside, plus, I want a proper job done.

What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
As an amateur who's had a lot of help from this forum, I think you might need to provide a little more info to get useful replies, for example:

-Is the house damp?
-What's the construction of the walls?
-When was it built?
-What kind of plaster is there on the walls?

...and given that there's a lot of ancient Greek and Roman plaster still intact, why would you think it would need replacing after 10 years?

As an amateur who's had a lot of help from this forum, I think you might need to provide a little more info to get useful replies, for example:

-Is the house damp?
-What's the construction of the walls?
-When was it built?
-What kind of plaster is there on the walls?

...and given that there's a lot of ancient Greek and Roman plaster still intact, why would you think it would need replacing after 10 years?
Thanks for your help.

The house doesn't have damp, if what you mean is the humidity issue.
It's made out of stick frame, as pretty much the 99% in UK I believe.
It's 10y old.
I really don't know, I only saw plaster... It's a bit cracked somewhere and it's expected, but it can be probably repaired quickly...

Well this plaster is modern plaster :unsure: , it's not made of silica if that's what you mean.
Google told me that, and in Google I trust :mrgreen: . Seriously, I've read it in many forums that 15y is the expectancy of the plaster, expecting more is fine, but it's due to the case...

Sponsored Links
Who told you that plaster over plasterboard only lasts 15 years?

Who told you that plaster over plasterboard only lasts 15 years?
Hi, I'm not sure if you saw my previous message, but essentially that's what the online world says. I don't have experience with materials used in UK, so I don't have much of a choice than asking online or search on Google...

My intention is to print, compared to the panels only for the possible issues raised in the 1st post, but I'd highly prefer panels because they last a lifetime minimum and the beauty it's simply second to nothing.
In any case I wouldn't panel all the house, but most of it.

This is the kind of paint I want, or moreover the way to paint: https://primacol.com/products/polaris?variant=42857814851812
The kitchen wouldn't be mostly painted because it's quite extensive, so due to the space it takes, probably almost only the ceiling will be done.
Bathrooms will be renovated aside, and mostly with tiles, so less paint overall, but certainly a last touch with water repellent paint.

What's a stick frame?

I'm curious what kind of forum is suggesting plaster only lasts 15 years!

Water repellant paint - why?

Are you sure your house size is 83 square metres?

What's a stick frame?

Sometimes I think this site is visited by trainee AI bots...

That might explain the "99% of houses in the UK being stick framed".

What's a stick frame?

You're better of checking online what a stick frame is, compared to a timber frame, but this man explains it well:

Water repellant paint is very good in any room, not only the bathroom, it helps with the moisture if any, it makes the underneath paint last longer or at least less cracks will be visible overtime, as far as I know.

The size si that, I'm not sure what do you mean by that.

Sometimes I think this site is visited by trainee AI bots...

That might explain the "99% of houses in the UK being stick framed".
They are, and certainly the recent ones.
Even if you see bricks (not even for rendering), they are not part of the structure, they are just for wind protection, sound isolation, thermal insulation/exchange, they are not part of the real structure which is stick frame usually. Ok maybe not the 99%, but close :mrgreen: .
The video above explains it very well, that is the real structure, nothing else around it is, it's just additional material for other reasons.

They are, and certainly the recent ones.
Even if you see bricks (not even for rendering), they are not part of the structure, they are just for wind protection, sound isolation, thermal insulation/exchange, they are not part of the real structure which is stick frame usually. Ok maybe not the 99%, but close :mrgreen: .
The video above explains it very well, that is the real structure, nothing else around it is, it's just additional material for other reasons.
That type of structure (called timber frame, never called stick frame in England at least) is a small minority, the vast majority is masonry cavity walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back