What to use to fix this ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into house year ago, slowly getting my way round the house.. Preparing to paint walls in hallway, stripped all old wallpaper off and removed little patchy parts of paint that was coming off. Around the upstairs window is a bit of a mess. (Sorry cannot take pic of entire window. It was too bright outside!)

Why is around the window plastered in that red plaster ? Whats difference? It doesn't appear to be done very well. Had to get the paint off around it and as a result it does not smooth into the original plaster. There is also what looks like water stains from a previous leak perhaps? It does not feel damp at the moment, it looks like like a stain. Any ideas?

I was thinking I can just use some type of plaster product and feather into the original plaster. Any advice on what product to use? Ive no idea really what to get. Tried that polycell plaster repair stuff on other stuff, but cant say i was overly impressed and its expensive. (though i did mess up by not applying mist coat... so my fault really.. lessons learned)

Same sort of idea around my front door;

Its not as bad but again will need to feather in and repair. I will also be fixing lots of little dents and bits to get smooth finish around several walls.

So really advice on product and application would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it just feels rough and not blended well wouldn't a electric sander do the job to hopefully give it a smoother better finish?? It may not work obviously I can't tell well with the pictures.

Josh

Well quite a few grooves and knicks around. The red plaster doesn't feather in. In places there is a 0.5cm step up etc. Its rough all over. Don't think sanding it in its current condition will get a good finish.

So really advice on product and application would be great.

Thanks

With no plastering experience I would suggest Easi-fill. e.g. http://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-easi-filler-5kg/143939_BQ.prd
You may not need 5kg - they used to do a bag of 5 x 1kg sachets - may still do. I liked this as it kept longer.

It can be applied and sanded when set, so is easier to work with and should make it possible for you to get a reasonable finish yourself.
If you have some large gaps to deal with (think you mentioned 0.5cm), then you would need to build up in layers and allow to set in between.

End result not as good as if a plasterer applied Bonding, Multifinish - but easier for you to do yourself and low cost.

Sponsored Links
I did a lot of plaster "repairs" when I moved in to my present (quite old) house. I used Wickes version of the famous "artex" and added a small quantity of PVA glue. Make sure that it is only a very small quantity of the latter or it will set rock hard. Having mixed a suitable quantity of the "artex" to the consistency of clotted cream, use a six inch wide knife or spreader and butter it on so that it fills all the minor dents and patches keeping it fairly wet all the time and so that on the good surfaces it is not much more than about a millimetre thick. It takes a bit of practice but well worth it because once it has dried, it is fairly hard and any small irregularities can easily be sanded flat. Also if you make any serious mistakes you can soak it and scrape it off again. Suggest you do your first practice run in an area which doesn't matter too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back