Stainless steel angle beads

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
If it is steel then it is magnetic - if it isn't - it isn't steel.
If it is joe-90 then it is wrong - if it isn't wrong, it isn't joe-90.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
If it is steel then it is magnetic - if it isn't - it isn't steel.
If it is joe-90 then it is wrong - if it isn't wrong, it isn't joe-90.

When was stainless steel invented? What was added to it. Was it magnetic?

joe, you are remarkable.

priceless.

one of your true qualities, is your inability to realize when you are making a complete fool of yourself.

it is humour at its finest.

wilmere said:
I have checked the angle beads with a magnet and they are not magnetic, suggesting that they are in fact stainless steel - the plaster around them is dry although the bead itself is wet (smells like rust, looks like rust, but when wiped, the surface is shiny). Is there any other chemistry that would cause this?

is it rust or corrosion? :confused:

OK, I think we mostly agree that stainless is non-magnetic - I'm therefore almost certain that that is what I have and yet I still have a chemical reaction which looks like rust - any ideas? I have a picture but cant figure out how to display it on this forum.

Do you think this is one of those topics that will go on for pages and pages and pages? Then at the end the OP still hasnt got an answer :D

Who remembers Legs and Jbonding when they used to argue about plastering :eek:

Happy days.

Can you actually get SS angle bead? I’ve not a pro but have never seen it nor Aluminium Alloy for that matter! It’s almost certain the beading is galvanised steel, why would anyone use anything else!

If it’s corroded, it’s likely to be at the corners where the beading was cut & the exposed steel edge has been subjected to dampness over a period of time. If the beading was fitted, plastered over & painted correctly, there will be insufficient moisture to allow corrosion to continue; if it has, dampness seeping through from the external wall seems like a likely place to look, especially on a window reveal.

It’s a long time since I’ve had need to consult the Iron Carbon diagram & I don’t really want to get drawn into the current squabble but, from memory; the best grades of SS (usually marine & medical) have high Nickel/Chromium content & are non magnetic but the tensile strength & hardness is not particularly good. For applications where tensile strength &/or hardness are important (fixings & cutlery etc.), a much lower Chromium or Nickel content is used but the molecular structure is not Austenitic as John D highlights in his Steel Mill quote so they are not true SS, they are a steel alloy &, hence, are slightly magnetic.

Come on guys; give the poor op a chance with his question!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back