Paint brush capillary action ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good folks,

Some reluctance on my part to post this as it sounds plain daft, I've even taken old brushes apart to see if there is a cavity - let me explain.

After cleaning a brush usually in water it gets a good shake, rub down on dry cloth before hanging up for use the next day. What happens during the first 15-20 minutes is water starts running backwards down the handle, most obvious when inverted but also noticed it painting horizontal surfaces.

This is with fairly good brushes too, many are Harris but other makes too mostly synthetic.

Today I was painting on an SBR slurry, took an age to get rid of all the white water marks as they had run onto concrete.

Anyone else experience this or an I just going potty :mrgreen:

Edit: just checked brand, couple are unknown due to paint the other three being used currently are Monarch.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Better quality brushes have a "wedge" in the middle of the brush to keep the bristles apart. There is a slight cavity in the ferrule between the bristles and handle.

I tend to use the better quality Purdy and Wooster brushes. I only expect to have water running down the brush if I have made the mistake of using the brush to thin the paint with water or white spirit (depending on the paint type).

Yep, I think these have the same sort of wedge after taking one apart, perhaps its doing its job but holding onto water instead of paint?

For the moment sorted the issue by leaving brushes (not ideal) inside tub overnight sealing with clingfilm, seems to work okay at least with Sandtex exterior.

I'll keep these brushes for outside use upgrading to Purdy or similar for lighter interior work, thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I think these have the same sort of wedge after taking one apart, perhaps its doing its job but holding onto water instead of paint?

For the moment sorted the issue by leaving brushes (not ideal) inside tub overnight sealing with clingfilm, seems to work okay at least with Sandtex exterior.

I'll keep these brushes for outside use upgrading to Purdy or similar for lighter interior work, thanks for the reply.

When working with waterbased paints, I routinely leave the brush in a polythene bag overnight. I may mist the brush with water first though. Oil based paints, I only ever use Brushmate containers. They use vapours rather than liquid to keep the (oil based) brushes "wet". I have brushes that have been in a Brushmate for several years. I only consider cleaning them if I drop the brush on the floor and it becomes contaminated with grit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back