Where am I going wrong?

I'm glad I decided to get out of the hands on part of decorating when I did - all these new paints are a nightmare.
I'll try and post some info on what the Americans are using when I move there a little later in the year. Maybe there'll be a nice little earner in exporting their paints for me! ;)

Sponsored Links
I've never really managed paint with a roller but it could be worth a try.

It certainly is driving me to drink (and I seem to be developing Tourettes into the bargain) - and I admit that I was sitting here this afternoon contemplating sticky backed plastic!! Hahahaha - you read my mind!

You'd think that when it seems to be common knowledge that w/b paints are a nightmare that the manufacturers would put some kind of additive like Floetrol in it to start with.

I shall leave it for a few days - take the door outside and sand the hell out of it and start from scratch - again.

Floetrol makes the paint go stringy after a while and along with the extra cost makes it a no go really. You are right though we could do with longer open times, i don't really struggle with satin and can get a good finish on flush doors but gloss can be a pain. Hopefully in time the WB/hybrid paints will improve.
Two other things you can try are wet abrading the door and de-cant your paint into a smaller kettle which you then place in a larger kettle with hot water in, this will warm the paint up and help it flow out better, stir it through while its warming up as well.

Mr H, the americans are so far ahead of us in this game with some products they make us look like a third world country.

I would just like to add...................

DO NOT search eBay for Latex Extender - the results aren't exactly what I was looking for :oops:

Sponsored Links
Mr H, the americans are so far ahead of us in this game with some products they make us look like a third world country.

You are right - they are way ahead. I was there twice last year for a couple of months and will be moving there to manage a painting crew a little later this year (my other half is American and her cousin runs a large painting company in the mid west). I've still got lots to learn about their products, but I have seen lots of them in use and the finishes of their latex paints are far superior to ours. Then again, they don't have the same EU regs that we have to adhere to here. :mad:

They are not that far ahead of us in everything though - some of the everyday things we take for granted here are not even considered over there yet!! It's going to take some getting used to!

Good luck with that door, Alison. :D

Floetrol makes the paint go stringy after a while and along with the extra cost makes it a no go really. You are right though we could do with longer open times, i don't really struggle with satin and can get a good finish on flush doors but gloss can be a pain. Hopefully in time the WB/hybrid paints will improve.
Two other things you can try are wet abrading the door and de-cant your paint into a smaller kettle which you then place in a larger kettle with hot water in, this will warm the paint up and help it flow out better, stir it through while its warming up as well.

I read that about the Floetrol - which is why I wondered about the Zamix? My facings and skirtings are fine - it's just this damned door.

Does the heat not affect it? Or is that only in the room when you're applying it?

Chocolate - apparently American chocolate is horrible!!!

Chocolate - apparently American chocolate is horrible!!!

IMHO, Hersheys chocolate is the most vile thing I've ever tasted! Even their M&M's taste different. No wonder they are all so slim!! :p
*mrH gets sharp punch in arm from most wonderful, beautiful, intelligent and SLIM American lady ever to have lived* :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

I spent half my time looking for British chocolate and the only thing that was readily available (at a reasonable price) was a Yorkie.

And not a truck in sight!

I know what'll be going in your suitcase - a cwt of Cadbury's!! LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back