Paint bubbling/blistering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

After some advice. we bought a 1970s house 6 months ago and have been redecorating. The walls are all structurally sound, just some minor blemishes that needed filling. The problem we have come accross is some of them are bubbling/blistering when we paint! They were all wallpapered over at least 2 layers of paint. We’ve stripped the paper, sanded and filled any holes, used zinserguardz for the wall paper paste but still happening. The green is still wet paint from today (it’s a silk paint) , the beige (Matt paint) is a wall we painted a few weeks back

The paint underneath has a shine too it so assuming it’s a silk, but when I have picked some of the dried bubbles off it goes down to plaster so the underneath paint is bubbling too

Attachments

• 54476486-1EC0-4069-8378-4F172C71850E.jpeg
    54476486-1EC0-4069-8378-4F172C71850E.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Have you been using sugar soap, and left some residue behind?

The fact when you pick at the bubbles it reveals bare plaster COULD mean the bare plaster was never mistcoated in the beginning, OR it may mean whatever you have applied is 'reactivating' the old paint and softening it.

I have experienced a very similar problem at home only last night. NOT sugar soap related. After smoothing out the problem areas, I applied some water-based quick drying Dulux Damp Seal, two coats. So far this has completely solved my problem. This isn't necessarily the correct product to use, but since I had some to hand, and thought it was worth a go since it was quick drying, it worked for me. Final coat of emulsion looks fine.

It may not work for you though, I would have expected the Zinseer to have done the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back