removing paint on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Room is downstairs cloak. Wall is plasterboard.
I removed wallpaper.
A layer of paint underneath the paper mostly came off with the wallpaper sheets.
Some paint remained
I scraped most off, but left a lot of stubborn bits
I sanded the the stubborn bits to allow paint to 'key' in.
I painted a mist coat.

The existing paint bubbled (blistered) when I had painted over it.

Do I need to remove all of the stubborn paint? That would be a big job!

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Hi ya- I guess that you meant that the walls are plasterboard with plaster over it- rather than tape and join.

If so a steam stripper should remove the paint- you may have realised that the first time that it was painted they neglected to thin the first coat- hence the fact that it is is lifting.

If you don't want to use a stripper then use oilbased undercoat or zinsser BIN to seal the old paint

You could also apply another mist coat and use a very sharp scraper to remove the rest of the now soft paint- messy though.

If it is a large area then i would use a stripper, if small then I would use Zinsser and feather off with One Time filler

Room is downstairs cloak. Wall is plasterboard.
I removed wallpaper.
A layer of paint underneath the paper mostly came off with the wallpaper sheets.
Some paint remained
I scraped most off, but left a lot of stubborn bits
I sanded the the stubborn bits to allow paint to 'key' in.
I painted a mist coat.

The existing paint bubbled (blistered) when I had painted over it.

Do I need to remove all of the stubborn paint? That would be a big job!

Thanks for reading.

nope just remove the loose bits sand it then coat with oil based primer jus the patches! then use filler to smooth off the missing bits =]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back