Paint bubbling - specific sections only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read a couple of other threads that might go some way to explain this, but was going to post this anyway, just in case they end up being unrelated.

Painting my hallway, stairs and landing in the same matt magnolia; all has gone well except for the two opposing stairs walls; about 1-5 mins after running over with the roller (or cutting in brush), usually when you've stopped paying attention to it, the bubbles are forming and regardless of the thickness of the coat. I have now twice gone through the process of scraping out the air bubble, skimming it smooth again - followed by sanding and cleaning with sugar soap - then applying an initial touch coat before rolling proper again.

Saturday was the third rolling attempt and I'm now at a loss. I've painted every other room in the house with the same technique and tooling, and this is the last part outstanding before finally getting carpet here!

The basecoat was Polycell 3 in 1 until I ran out of it (and at £50 now, I'm not getting any more), at which point I finished off the rest with basic Dulux white (done at different times). This was applied on top of the previous owners maybe-custom lilac mix, which appears to also be matt. The first magnolia coat went perfectly, it was only the second one where this started. The bubbles, if forcefully removed, always go back to the prior lilac, taking everything freshly applied with them.

I've now used different paint, different tray, waiting 3+ weeks and a brand new roller without being able to get this good - which is needed before doing the long stretches in the stairway itself.

I suspect these problematic areas could be where I only applied standard white emulsion, and not the polycell - but struggling to remember how much I covered! Some other rooms didn't have this applied and they turned out fine. Any other potential explanations or remediations, to save me pulling out what hair I have left and wasting all the paint I bought?

It's all dry-lined with no indications of damp in the house, one side being the party wall.

Attachments

• 20231125_145450.jpg
    20231125_145450.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231125_144957.jpg
    20231125_144957.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231125_144532.jpg
    20231125_144532.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
The new paint is not bonding to the old. Have you let it dry completely to see if it the bubbles disappear? Are you sure the original paint was matt? Has fizzy pop or polish or similar been sprayed up the walls?
If you pop a bubble does it show through to original colour or is the original colour bubbling too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back