Paint colour different

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've got a bit of an issue with the colour of masonry paint testers.

I've bought some testers from Kingfisher building products. When I first went to buy paint from them, they said that they would prefer to send a laminated sample of the colours as they differ from the website. I was then told after looking that they advise customers to buy tester pots first, which I did.

I bought a cream and a mushroom colour and painted it on to an already painted wall, which was a cream colour.

The colours that they have gone are different to what they look like on the sample chart and in fact look like other colours on there.

I have spoken with them and they have told me that they will look different if I am painting them over another colour and that I should paint it onto a piece of white paper to check.

On the white paper they match the sample chart perfectly.

I have never come across this before. I have 6 different patches that I have painted on the walls (4 are B&Qs own brand) and the 4 are exactly the same as the samples.

Is it possible for them to react when painting over a different colour?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
was there any dirt on the surface you have painted?

Was it old, weathered, eroded paint?

No. The whole house hasn't been done that long ago.

I'm confused, as the other paints are going on identical to the samples shown. The two from kingfisher are going on a different colour to the sample and also to what there coming out as on white paper.

Seemed a bit weird asking me to try it on white paper, I'm not painting white paper, so why paint it.

I just wanted to know if this is normal?

I've used many different brands in the past and have never come across this. They may be a slightly different shade, but not colour.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Try second coating your test area.

BTW there is a very easy way of testing sample pots against the colour in the card, just dab a bit of paint from the pot onto the colour on the card, allow to dry and results will ensue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back