Paint colours for room with South facing window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. First post here (to get some de -corating inspiration ) apology if this is not in the right place.

My idea for decorating the room is a blend of lime, turquoise and bright white.

I have been doing some research and came across an article which stateday that any true white paint will be good for a south facing room. As a suggestion, the article suggested to stick to the cooler end of the spectrum as cooler white works great in conjunction with strong colours.

Thing is I have no idea what is a true white or what is a cooler white end of the spectrum. I thought of pure brilliant white but don't know if it's true white or cooler white.

Questions:

What I would like is for someone to give me example of paint from (deluxe, Leyland, crown, Johnstone, valspar) that fall into the true white and cooler white end of the spectrum category.

Would true white or cooler white work well with turquoise and lime?

Sponsored Links
Hello all. First post here (to get some de -corating inspiration ) apology if this is not in the right place.

Thing is I have no idea what is a true white or what is a cooler white end of the spectrum. I thought of pure brilliant white but don't know if it's true white or cooler white.

Questions:

What I would like is for someone to give me example of paint from (deluxe, Leyland, crown, Johnstone, valspar) that fall into the true white and cooler white end of the spectrum category.

Would true white or cooler white work well with turquoise and lime?
Hello and welcome to DiyNot. I have to admit I am not sure about "true white/cool white" But I would say pure brilliant white is cooler than white. As to the makes I think you're better going with a paint that "works" easy. I have found Crown is good, nice flat finish. And Johnstone is a nice smooth working paint. Any white will work with turquoise and lime.

I thought of pure brilliant white but don't know if it's true white or cooler white.

Brilliant white tends to have a very slightly blue sheen.

White (also know as British Standard white [ BS code 00E55] is generally considered to be "white"

Brilliant white tends to have a very slightly blue sheen.

White (also know as British Standard white [ BS code 00E55] is generally considered to be "white"
Thanks for the differentiation.

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome to DiyNot. I have to admit I am not sure about "true white/cool white" But I would say pure brilliant white is cooler than white. As to the makes I think you're better going with a paint that "works" easy. I have found Crown is good, nice flat finish. And Johnstone is a nice smooth working paint. Any white will work with turquoise and lime.
I think Johnstone do pure brilliant white but does Johnstone paint cover well?

Which finish is best to go for out of matt, silk and soft sheen for a bedroom.

I think Johnstone do pure brilliant white but does Johnstone paint cover well?

I am not a fan of Johnstone paints. I had to use their emulsion earlier this year (purchased from a Johnstones trade store). Every tin had hard white lumps, I suspect that the paint in the lid starts to dry and fall into the newly mixed paint.

Which finish is best to go for out of matt, silk and soft sheen for a bedroom.

It is a matter of preference. I prefer matt but the other two sheens are easier to clean. One downside to the shiny finishes is that (sometimes) during the colder nights, you may find condensation running down exterior walls.

Only seem to come across johnston brillant white, does any one know if Johnstone do pure brilliant white?

Out of pure brilliant white and brilliant white which is the whiter of the two?

Only seem to come across johnston brillant white, does any one know if Johnstone do pure brilliant white?

Out of pure brilliant white and brilliant white which is the whiter of the two?

Don't you mean white and brilliant white rather than brilliant white and pure brilliant white?

Both are white but, as I said earlier, the brilliant white has a very slight blue hue. Perhaps a clumsy analogy, think of cool white LED lights Vs warm white LEDs. The brilliant white is the former, white the latter. In reality however the contrast is far less than my analogy.

Don't you mean white and brilliant white rather than brilliant white and pure brilliant white?

Both are white but, as I said earlier, the brilliant white has a very slight blue hue. Perhaps a clumsy analogy, think of cool white LED lights Vs warm white LEDs. The brilliant white is the former, white the latter. In reality however the contrast is far less than my analogy.
Good analogy. Perhaps got my working wrong. What I should of ask was which of the two is brighter.

Guy, what would be the best way to paint over / cover timeless wishing well flat matt emusion. I've done 2 coats of Leyland matt viny and the flat matt colour am trying to paint over is still showing.

Leyland emulsion is fine over lining paper but pants at obliterating other colours. Just keep applying more coats.

IMO, although it is cheaper than Dulux trade, you need to apply more coats. The savings on the materials are far outweighed by the increase in labour costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back