Paint comming off when removing vinyl wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've spent my day trying to remove vinyl wall paper with horrible results, tried a part scoring the paper, another picking the paper with a jaggy roller thing from amazon and a part with no prep (with the exception of applying wallpaper stripper).

Applied B&Q wallpaper stripper using a pump action spray bottle 3 times over an hour but the top layer either tares or lifts the top layer, paper layer and the paint under it.

Any other way to do this?

If not can i just scrape/sand the remaining loose paint and cover with lining paper or do I need to call in a trades man and get it skimmed?

Sponsored Links
In the long run probably better spending £150 and getting it skimmed. (after you've got all the paper off)

Vinyl paper is usually a dream to strip if you don’t scratch or perforate just use a very flexible scraper / filling knife to lift the edge across one end and carefully pull the whole strip away from the backing (strangely some strip more easily in one direction than the other, try pulling from the bottom if that fails try from the top) if it’s perforated it just keeps breaking off.

However while most are easy-strip there are some that are an absolute pig! The top sheet is too thin and will not separate cleanly from the backing sheet, if that’s what you have the only way is score and use a steam stripper, but beware it’s very easy to damage the plaster below, leave it in one place too long and you will hear crackling sounds and the plaster will fall away in chunks, requiring skimming afterwards.

If you have some paint below coming off in patches you might find it best to line the wall with heavy lining paper after stripping, a good product that hides a multitude of sins is paste the wall Wallrock Fibreliner pricy but good.

Sorry I don’t think there is really easy fix, best wishes,
Footprints.

Thanks for the replies.

I had another go at it this morning before I left for work as it was still damp from last night (was up till 10:30 pm trying to deal with it lol) I got about half a sheet off in one go so I'm going to try wetting it at night and in the morning so see if I can avoid using a steamer.

The top layer is really thin and only stretches a tiny bit before tearing, the guy who hanged it said it would cause a problem in the future but the ex insisted on it as she liked the pattern! Prob does not help that it's been up for over 10 years.

Sponsored Links
Disaster! I was trying to remove the paper from behind a radiator and it was really stubborn so I soaked it and left it for a few hours and soaked it again and the plaster round the fixings got soft and the radiator came off the wall :( . Drained the system and a local tradesman is coming to have a look tomorrow. It's only a small leek but the pipes to the rad are distorted hope it's an easy fix but looks like the rad will need to be moved a few inches left or right and down to find a good fixing point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back