Paint cracking and peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our porch had a problem with mildew on the inside of the exterior walls so the other half tried to wash it down with mould remover and wiped the paint off right down to the plaster with a wet cloth.

I've tried repainting it, watered down matt white first then bathroom paint to stop the mould coming back. Gone to check it and it has cracked and just rubbed off by hand in tiny flakes.

The plaster had blown in places as well and when she washed it the pressure cracked it. It looks like it's a 5mm thick layer over textured paint and the textured paint has come off and so there is nothing holding the plaster to the walls.

Any idea what I did wrong? The plaster isn't a very good job as there are bits where it is as thick as the skirting board at the bottom of the wall but the wall is mostly covered by coats so I'm not worried if it isn't nice to look at so I don't want to try and remove the plaster and start again.

Sponsored Links
Hello would it be possible to see a pic of this, see if we can come up with a solution for you, could be the emulsion wasn't watered down enough or maybe wasn't completely dry before the second coat, as for the plaster that is more than likely damp or jut never done properly at first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back