Paint cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a house that is a bit of an internal project, that so far we have had a far bigger project than planned. We are through most of the repair jobs, so we're just decorating now. Over the weekend I've painted a first and second coat of plain white emulsion in the dining room, however it has cracked quite a lot. Has anybody any suggestions as to why this has happened, and the best way to fix it? It has effected all four walls on the bottom half of the room over a particular paint. There is no sign of damp in the room. The walls are stud, and partey walls, with a tiny bit of former external wall where the conservatory stands.
DSC_0955.JPG
Brown.jpg

Sponsored Links
I messaged Dulux to see if they had an answer to this, and they have called it Mud Cracking and are sending another type of paint for us to repair the issue, free of charge. Good service by them!

Not a decorator so this not meant to be an answer but it reminds me of when you see dry ground that is lacking water - has the wall sucked moisture out of the paint ?

If the paint below is shiny and water repellent, this can happen. If you use a primer on it, that should remove the non-stick-ability.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back