Paint flaking off / blistering in en-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I tried to paint the en-suite bathroom ceiling today and encountered a strange problem. Over the shower, a few minutes after the paint went on it started to 'blister'. Then after a while it died down again.

The rest of the ceiling seems ok. I wondered if it's because of the fact that the original paint has come unstuck over time through the steam from the shower below it and then, as I painted it, it pulled away from the surface??

Anyone seen this before?

And, if so, have you any advice on how to 'treat' the area so that I can paint it without issue?

Should I strip all the existing paint off and then repaint with bathroom paint or is there a treatment I should use??

Ideas are welcome.

Here's a few piccies....

Cheers

John :D

Sponsored Links
I had the same in my bathroom recently and came to the same conclusion as you ie moisture had gotten "behind" the original paint, thus "unsticking" it. I used course reduction sandpaper to remove anything that was remotely flaky, then sanded the whole ceiling, then painted as normal. No problems since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back