(paint for) Exterior Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just about to paint the masonry rendered exterior walls of our house. I have also just built a wooden box to hide our gas meter which I want to paint the same colour as the walls of the house.

The wood is currently bare.

My question is, if I paint the wood with primer then undercoat, can I then paint it in the exterior masonry paint?

Or is there something else I should do??

thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want the box to 'blend in' with the walls then a coat of wood primer followed by final coat or two of masonary paint will be fine ;)

Hi

I am thinking about doing the same have you had any problems with the meter reading people?

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
You mean if they cant see it ? LOL
The gas company cant complain as the box is your responsibility as you will find if it ever gets damaged , theyll tell you its your property -you fix it! All theyre intrested in is the contents & access ;)

Our old box broke and the door fell off, but the new standard sized boxes are too small to fit it all in, so had to build a new one.
Built it with a small frame screwed to the wall and then covered it in shiplak cladding.
I considered making a door so it could be read and the off switch reached but that seemed like a lot of hassle and i didnt have enough wood.
All i did was trim the top off one slice of cladding, not nail it down and leave it so it slides in and out. I might add a catch to the side so it doesnt fall out, but it seemed like a very easy solution.
You need to have some way of reading the meter really and I like the idea of being able to access the OFF switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back