Paint for polystyrene coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've painted the ceiling in the hallway with Armstead Contract Matt trade. Before that, we put polystyrene coving and I tried to paint it with the same paint, that is water based. I could see after it dried that needs a second coat. After the second coat on the coving,the paint cracked all over. I sanded down and I painted with dulux undercoat oil based. Now, after I put the second coat on the ceiling and another one of Armstead paint on the coving, it didn't crack but I can see that is shiny near the coving and I don't know what to use to get the same look of the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Ok, sooooo

Polystyrene coving is quite porous, and should be treated like new plaster i.e thinned down paint used first and then top coat it.

Contract paint is better for more porous surfaces but it's not great.

You'd have been better off with normal white emulsion.

Anyway, now you have painted oil paint on the coving the contract paint (being more "watery" than standard emulsion) doesn't like to stick to it very well, and as you brush it on the previous coat of paint comes off with it.

So to rectify is to either continue painting using the armstead paint you have but use as few brush strokes as possible, and probably end up doing at least 4 coats of paint.

Or buy standard emulsion and do 2-3 coats

I was thinking to paint one coat with a block stain like Zinsser near the coving and after paint the ceiling another coat of Armstead.

I was thinking to paint one coat with a block stain like Zinsser near the coving and after paint the ceiling another coat of Armstead.

No. Why do you want to keep putting different types of paint on the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I don't know. Because I am thinking that it will still look shiny near the coving, that's why probably .

Thank you vey much! I will put another two coats of Armstead and see how it will look afterwards.

Can you also please tell me what white emulsion can I use instead of Armstead?

Contract paints are inferior quality paints. They contain less acrylic but are better suited to new, slightly damp plaster that still needs to "breathe".

Any regular TRADE emulsion from a reputable brand will be better than a contract paint (even from the same manufacturer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back