Paint Issues in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, looking for some advice with paint issues in our ensuite.

We had it painted back in June, and everything seemed fine. However, one morning neck in January we noticed some streaks that looked like water damage.

However, what confuses me is
  1. It happened overnight
  2. It wasn't raining!
  3. It's worse on one wall, but actually on all three, including under the window reveal (fourth wall has plastic boarding)
I'm really looking for some input as to why this may have happened, and how to go about redecorating. The bathroom has an automatic fan, and we always shower with the window open.

As a final note, I found that the paint used was normal Matt paint over Silk.

Cheers

20220226_101211.jpg 20220226_100814.jpg 20220113_082654.jpg 20220113_091603.jpg

Sponsored Links
So it's not peeling it's just looking like water marks? Was any primer put over the silk before the matt was applied?

My guess would be no, in which case I'd use something like Zinsser 123, which is a primer and stain block - that should take it back to looking decent, then use something like trade Eggshell as opposed to normal matt paint, which I think can be problematic for bathrooms.

On and don't be tempted (in my view) with kitchen and bathroom paint - I used some a few years back and it was horrific, I think others said the same on here when I looked.

Oh and if it does start to peel and crack, but only a little, you could use Zinsser peel stop then normal paint - I used that in my old bathroom and got decent results

Sponsored Links
Yes, there's no peeling or cracking, just streaks and tide marks.

I don't believe any primer was used. Would i need to sand it all first, or is it OK straight over the top?

Sanding would probably help adhesion, but the Zinsser stuff doesn't *need* it - I think it says on the tin it's better if you can but it works without.

A family friend told me that they found wet and dry paper generated less mess when sanding - a theory I've yet to test, but if sanding dust is a concern, could be worth a go!

Sanding would probably help adhesion, but the Zinsser stuff doesn't *need* it - I think it says on the tin it's better if you can but it works without.

A family friend told me that they found wet and dry paper generated less mess when sanding - a theory I've yet to test, but if sanding dust is a concern, could be worth a go!

Silicone carbide wet and dry paper, when used dry, will generate as much dust as other papers.

BTW, you can buy hand sanders that connect to vacuum cleaners. I have thousands of pounds worth of electric sanders but I also use the Mirka Abranet hand sanders.

eg https://www.mirka.com/uk/Sanding-Block-70x125mm-Grip-13H-Yellow-8391400111/

For what it is worth, I too suspect that it might be related to airlfow and would also recommend trade waterbased eggshell but I would be inclined to apply it without the need for any primers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back