paint on chimneybreast keeps bubbling and peeling

Thanks for all your help.
My tenant says the humidity in the ground floor flat is now 80/ 85 percent.

I'm not sure if this means anything during winter when tenants don't open windows to ventilate properties?

Sponsored Links
Gary111,

There's no slab to be seen on the stack.
A clay ventilation Cowl can clearly be seen on the stack.
With water clearly entering through the stack top then internal vents will do nothing for drying out the flues until remedial repairs as suggested above are made.

Patience has nothing to do with urgently needed repairs eg. loose & dangerous bricks on the stack.
The idea that efflorescence ie. salts leaching out of the brickwork is the problem is wrong - Hygroscopic chemicals are the problem high up the flues, and low down the flues.

Patience has nothing to do with Hygroscopic chemicals.

When hygroscopic chemicals present on plaster surfaces they absorb moisture from the air - they do not leach from brickwork, they do not dry out - you would wait a long time for the air to dry out.

FWIW: leeches are little worms. Effervescence is the gas bubbles found in fizzy drinks.

Efflorescence is a powdery deposit of salts which forms on the surface of bricks and mortar. It is usually white but can also appear yellow, green or brown. ... Efflorescence is quite common in new brickwork and is usually a harmless, temporary seasonal problem, often occurring in spring following a wet winter.
The white stains is called "LEACHING" which is a salt deposit. Often contain excessive moisture which evaporates and transfers salt deposits, which can remain on the bricks work if not treated. 1. Scrub the powdery stains (white stuff on bricks) off the bricks surface with a dry stiff bristle cleaning brush.

You cannot see the top of the stack at the angle the photos are taken. A stack that size would have originally had at least three pots possibly even six.

And? So what?

Your first two paragraphs have no connection with the thread?
Why are you transferring bits of google to the thread?

Ref your last paragraph: everything I noted can be easily seen in more than one pic?
I dont need a Birds-eye view - why would I?
As for going on about the possible number of previous chimney pots - for what purpose do you even mention them? No chimney pots can be seen?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help
Does this cracked mortar area under the edge of the tiles need work ?
Screenshot_20220120-223337_Photos.jpg

And? So what?

Your first two paragraphs have no connection with the thread?

?
I dont need a Birds-eye view - why would I?
Have a ' and with your super powers you don't need a birds eye view. Do you ?

Last edited:
This picture is of the inside of the chimney towards the peeling bitthere doesn't feel like much of a draft at all going up the chimney, but I guess there shouldn't be if it's capped ?
Screenshot_20220122-191020_Photos.jpg

Maybe it would be better to put a new piece of plasterboard on that side of the chimney breast ?
If so is there a specific way of doing it to prevent damp coming through ?

Gary, are there any problems with the first floor property at all?
Personally I’d like to look at the top of the chimney stack, where the cement flaunching would be......those air bricks look Heath Robinson ish at best.
As for pipes in the chimney, that’s truly an odd one.....you may expect iron pipe stubs where the original back boiler could have been, but they look like lead!
In old properties, the hearth was laid directly onto the earth and moisture was often absorbed.....this didn’t matter because the fires were lit every day. I like to see the original hearth rubble dug out, a membrane laid and then finished in concrete - which helps greatly but not at the fireplace sides.
Have you ever lifted the floor boards in the vicinity of the hearth for a peek underneath?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back