paint or cover discoloured cisten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my plastic toilet cisten has discoloured yellow with age someone suggested to me to cover it in white sticky back plastic i was wondering is it safe to paint toilet cisterns?

Sponsored Links
Painting it with traditional gloss wont harm it. dont use any undercoat and thin the gloss down a little.

oh i read that gloss is only to be used on metal and wood though? and what would i thin it down with?

Standard oil based gloss will practically go over any surface if prepped right. When painting over plastic like rainwater pipes and soil pipes, gloss tends to dry quicker so it needs thining a bit with turps or whit spirit. As the plastic is smooth the gloss will flow out and give a finish with no brush marks. Just wipe the surface over with a cloth dipped in turps to make sure there is no grease on it first.

Sponsored Links
ok just to clarify then i dont actually need to mix the paint with the white spirit but just wiping over the surface with a cloth containing white spirit will be enough before the paint goes on? should the area wiped be left to dry for a few minutes before painting?

thanks john but i think my only option is to paint because its council property and there refusing to replace it as its not 30 years old and only 23 (groan) i dont think im allowed to start fiddling about replacing it myself

Wipe the cistern over with white spirit, this will degrease the surface prior to painting. Add a little white spirit to your gloss and stir this up to thin the gloss down. Apply the gloss to the cistern.

super thanks robbie i have some white anti mould ceiling paint could i do it with that? and should i sandpaper the area down beforehand?

The ceiling paint you refer to will not be suitable as it will probably be water based. It has to be oil based paint, gloss or satinwood.

Miserable gits @ the council :mad: Since they sacked their direct labour workforces and got contractors in , it`s all gone to crap. If you were in Sussex, I`d come an fit a new one for you for free.( You supply it ) I used to work for Housing Association doing those jobs . Then Th****er got us all out. :evil:

I too want to paint my cistern and the downpipe so thanks for that. a colleague of mine reckons that the condensation likely to occur will result in the paint coming off. is this the case? or is gloss likely to run the course? many thanks! :D

If the cistern is plastic then this is a warm surface and shouldnt have as much, if any condensation on it. If it is porcelain then this could sweat as the surface is cold against the warmer temperature of the bathroom. Having said that the paint should still be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back