wallpaper semi transparent over odd colour walls problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I papered my living room (Graham and Brown paste the wall). On the chimney breast, the base emulsion was yellow on top half and white on bottom half. Unfortunatlely, I can in certain lights see the colour difference thru the paper !!. I am going to strip and paint the white with fresh yellow emulsion(the rest of the room had yellow). I have read that you have to remove all traces of paste prior to painting. The question (eventually) is ..... Is this cos the paint will discolour or cos it will flake off. I am not bothered if it discolours a shade as i am papering over but i am bothered if it will not be sound. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a gamble to emulsion over paste. Sometimes its OK but when it goes wrong, it goes badly wrong. You are best Lining the surface.

Third_Eye said:
Its a gamble to emulsion over paste. Sometimes its OK but when it goes wrong, it goes badly wrong. You are best Lining the surface.

Agree totally...I wouldnt do it at home and if a customer asked me to do it, I wouldnt do it on a job either.

Papering over fresh-ish paint...dodgy, pant actually takes weeks and weeks to cure properly..this could cause you all sorts of grief.

One thing you must do though...check the info on the rolls, if it doesnt mention the walls should be uniform in colour before you paper then you have a very good case against Graham and Brown (not my favourite manufacturers to say the least) ... ring their customer support and make a claim.

If it does say the walls should be uniform then you wont have a leg to stand on

Anuone remember Novamura?...that was paste the wall too and the same problem arose with that stuff too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back