Paint or replace with UPVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post here. At the moment my girlfriend and myself have moved in to a 15 year old house in South London. Though it's only 15 years old, it needs a little TLC after the previous owners efforts. The house is a narrow townhouse over 3 floors, and quite tall. The wooden double glazing is in need of a lick of paint, but the quotes we're getting in are a little on the daft side. It needs scaffolding to paint the third floor windows, and we've been getting frankly ridiculous quotes. So mad in fact, that we now think we should consider replacing it all with UPVC. My question is, how much should it cost to paint the exterior woodwork on a three storey house? Five windows on the front, five on the back, and three small windows on the side. Should we bite the bullet and get UPVC all over, and how much would this cost? My gut reaction is get a cheap paint job on the windows, and then save up for UPVC in five years time. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You typically would need a tower for your height - used safely its even practical for a DIY'er to work from.

How much were your quotes for painting 13 frames - and how much do you estimate for PVC?

You typically would need a tower for your height - used safely its even practical for a DIY'er to work from.

How much were your quotes for painting 13 frames - and how much do you estimate for PVC?

We have been quoted as high as £7,000.00 to paint the windows. This would include scaffolding, but there is no way on earth I'd pay a builder that much for a few days work. I think the job's worth a quarter of that, if that. I reckon UPVC would cost less than 10k. May have to look for some good Polish firms, anybody know any?

Isn't the main cost the scaffold, which will be the same for upvc? Just about to get our 8 wooden windows done, inside and out for £1800+ VAT in the midlands. Lots of stripping and filling involved. More quotes?

Sponsored Links
UPVC, Will not require maintenance, better sound & thermal insulation (I think),
Just replace my wooden dg units, as they needed painting.

Wood is an excellent insulator, and the windows are already double glazed. The issue clearly isn't about efficiency or appeal (some value wood for aesthetic appeal over plastic). The issue is simple ease of maintenance versus money.
As this is a DIY forum, I'd say buy a decent tower (having just checked fleabay and an all singing and dancing 7.2m tower could cost about £1000). Then a brush and tin of paint!
You could probably get it done in a weekend, and save thousands on windows that just need a lick of paint. Plus you will make sure you do a good job and you'll own the tools!!!
I'd keep the wood if its still okay, personally

In a w/end, that depends on how much prep needs doing.
My small panes, with pins that hadn't been punched & filled, I reckon a week for me to have done the prepping. Once replaced job done for 20 years or so.
As for sound insulation my upvc have made a big difference.

Wood is an excellent insulator, and the windows are already double glazed. The issue clearly isn't about efficiency or appeal (some value wood for aesthetic appeal over plastic). The issue is simple ease of maintenance versus money.
As this is a DIY forum, I'd say buy a decent tower (having just checked fleabay and an all singing and dancing 7.2m tower could cost about £1000). Then a brush and tin of paint!
You could probably get it done in a weekend, and save thousands on windows that just need a lick of paint. Plus you will make sure you do a good job and you'll own the tools!!!

Agree, especially about keeping the wood. And you can put the tower back on Ebay when you've finished the job.

Cheers
Richard

I best qualify my original question, everything on this house needs work and I'm doing the bulk of it myself. A decent steer on this subject is all I ask for. The house is three storeys, so quite a challenge.

I best qualify my original question, everything on this house needs work and I'm doing the bulk of it myself. A decent steer on this subject is all I ask for. The house is three storeys, so quite a challenge.

Well you've had three suggestions to buy a scaffold tower.

Cheers
Richard

Problem is the cost in London.

What about doing the bulk of the windows yourself i.e. those which do not require the scaffolding.

Then get a quote for the upper windows and scaffolding alone.

That would mean less work to be quoted for and a shorter time for the scaffolding to be hired.

Just a thought.

The only alternative is to hire your own scaffolding and do it all yourself (or buy a tower as suggested)

FYI - Knowing many scaffolders in South London, many of them are crying out for work so a trawl around may find a much cheaper option for scaffolding than your quote.

It makes no sense to buy a tower when they can be hired so cheaply - plus they will be delivered and returned by the hire co.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back