UPVC Fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dormer window with plywood boards, approx 7 years old (same as house). The paint on these is flaking so I thought I'd get quotes for repainting and fitting with UPVC fascia. The windows themselves are UPVC.

Quote for painting - sand down, prime, undercoat and 2 top coats = £200.

Quote for UPVC - £575.

What exactly is involved in the UPVC? I naively thought it would just be covering the plywood boards to make them weatherproof and therefore cheaper than painting, but clearly there is more to it than that. Or am I being taken for a ride ??

Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
I would never put UPVC over existing timber cladding, it’s will look awful & is likely to lead to problems with the timber underneath in the future. The only way to do it is to pull off the timber & replace with full weight UPVC cladding. Cover boards (fascias soffits etc.) do have some uses but are generally used for a quick fix by the bodgers!

I had a 7 metre wide dormer with 2 windows re-clad in UPVC 18 months ago, replacing some of the support timbers & the insulation at the same time. I had this done as part of a complete removal & replacement of all the timber facias, soffits & guttering etc. on our large 3 bed detached house which, after 50 years, was thoroughly rotten. The price included some garage cladding & raking out & re-pointing the tile edges on 3 gable ends on the property; cost was £2,100 with independent 10 year insurance backed guarantee. The cost of UPVC mouldings is relatively low & so the major cost is in the labour (should be around £130 per man/day max but it does depend on where you live). I’ll leave you to work out weather or not your quote is a bargain or not! My advice is to be sure to specify what you want, get several quotes & look at some of their previous work before giving them the job; it’s the installation that dictates weather or not the finished job looks great & last years or a total pigs ear!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back