Paint over or Strip back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

A few years ago I painted over my varnished staircase with white gloss paint. however, I didn't use a primer of even key the surface so now the paint scratches off very easily in places.

The question is do I need to strip all the paint or if I use a primer will it give a good enough base to stop the paint scratching off?

I thinking that using a primer would be easier than trying to strip paint from all the spindles.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
A primer wont help as primers are intended for bare surfaces. in your case you have a surface that had been sealed with varnish initially and now has paint on it.

Not a nice job but you need to sand back until you can provide a key on the varnish (therein lies the root problem), in reality you can concentrate on the areas most susceptible to knocks if you can't face doing it "properly".

I don't think that any finishes will help as the problem is the gloss (not) adhering to the varnish

Sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back