Paint over plaster patch - how to blend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added some wall sockets and added plaster & filler to the surrounding areas to make good. A few days later sanded down and painted with a couple of coats of trade emulsion, however I'm getting a 'lip' around the patch area which makes the patch stand out.

I've sanded the area down again to make sure its perfectly smooth and tried painting again with a couple of coats with the same 'lip' results.

I think by repeatedly sanding I've worn the area away of the surrounding plasterboard so am making it worst.

The only other thing i can think of is to sand down again and use plaster sealer, let it dry and then a couple of coats of emulsion?

Patched

1st time painted - surrounding 'lip' highlights patch

Sanded down again

Painted 2nd time (2 coats)

Lip present again

Sponsored Links
I would agree the edges need 'sealing' before the emulsion goes on.

What have you painted the bare sanded areas with? Ordinary emulsion or thinned emulsion?

Watered down emulsion should be good enough.

Maybe some oil-based undercoat will seal it together better.

Any 'papery' bits of plasterboard should be filled over. Any tufts of paper need cutting back as they can push out.

I think the problem is where the plasterboard has been sanded it's left an exposed edge to the plasterboard, which soaks up the paint.

It should be noted though that emulsioning over oil-based paint can leave a difference in paint colour, which tends to sort itself out when fully dried, after a few days or so.

When it's all painted and you get the lip back, have you tried simply applying some filler around the lip, without all the excessive sanding? It may well be that you are trying too hard.

Maybe worth trying this first before sanding it all back to bare plaster again, though of course we can't actually tell exactly how raised that lip really is.

Is the wall skimmed, or is it bare plasterboard that was just painted?

Last edited:
The very first picture you sent looks like it should accept the paint. Did you sand after this before applying the paint?

I would say you want the surface to be more like the first picture, without all those exposed sanded edges like the other pictures show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back