Paint over wet plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently (Thursday) got my hallway plastered. The plasterer said he'd send a painter round to finish the woodwork and paint the walls. He came this morning, and I said please just do the woodwork because the plaster wasn't dry (it's only been a day and a half and it's still changing colour, some bits are darker than others). I went into another room and when I came back he'd painted the walls. I said I thought he was going to leave the walls and he said it was fine, they were dry and he wouldn't have done it otherwise. So he just ignored me, basically.

What am I dealing with, here? My concern is that the plaster is now never going to fully dry because the paint will seal the moisture in (it's damp proof paint so not breathable). If this happens, what is the damage risk? Might there be any damage to the brickwork? Might there be a smell? What is the worst case scenario I'll have to deal with?

Sponsored Links
Painting wet plaster should never be done, and if you are stupid enough to do it you are taking very unnecessary risks.

The biggest potential problem is the paint may not stick, and it may peel off in patches.

If it does appear to be ok when dry, the next worry is when you come to redecorating in years to come. There is a risk applying the new paint with a brush or roller will pull some of the original paint off.

Both scenarios being an absolute and total nightmare.

There is also a risk of staining to the paint.

This bloke sounds terrible - he obviously doesn't care about your job, and is only interested in getting paid and getting out of there.

He's going to want paying soon. If you pay him, and there's a problem, you may not see him again.

Of course you might be lucky and have no problems whatsoever, but why chance it?

Never paint wet plaster - and since you asked him not to, there is no reason why he should have - only to get to get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

Last edited:
That was not a decorator applying paint..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back