Paint peeling off due to leak: how to rectify..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint a wall at the local nursery where there has been a leak resulting in the paint peeling away from the wall over a rather large area.

I’m not sure exactly what the wall is made of. It isn’t plasterboard but more like a strong cardboard panel! At least that is what it feels / looks like in the area where the paint has peeled off.

What is my best bet? Would i ever be able to paint over even the whole wall inc. the stripped part successfully?
Or do i have to carve into these wall panels & replace them. And then would that require a skim coat prior to re-painting if i replaced them with new plasterboard?

thanks in advance for any tips

Sponsored Links
It depends on what this wall is made of. You could gouge into it a bit with a chisel to see what its made off. Most surfaces that are stained can be painted with an oil based undercoat prior to any further finish being applied. This will kill any stains and allow any type of finish to be put over the top.

Is the wall still damp/ if so get a de-humidifier in the room to remove the damp, this may take a while though.

Strong cardboard?

Could it be hardboard,
or fibreboard?

Hardboard is very prone to paint peeling, especially if not primed with an oil-based primer.

As mentioned, prime with some oil-based primer/undercoat.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for all.

will have to further investigate as to the material

will an oil based undercoat + top coat cover over the chip / crack lines (if i painted the whole wall) or would they likely still be visible...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back