Paint problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Recently had two bedrooms painted in our new home. It is an old home that has been recently renovated, but this evening I noticed an effect on the wall I’ve not seen before. It looks like a small smooth patch on the wall surrounded by a circle or raised patches, I’ve attached two photos.

The house as replastered by the previous owner, albeit not very well as they didn’t mist cost very well by the looks of it. This time around the walls were rubbed down, wiped off, filled (primed in spots) and painted with two coats.

Any help appreciated

View media item 106475
View media item 106476

Sponsored Links
I cannot be sure from the photos. I am in the pub (garden) and the sun is a tad too bright. It looks like some of the paint had previously bubbled off and those areas had been refilled. If so, when the filler was sanded, being softer than the existing paint, it sanded back deeper than the surrounding paint.

You could refill, but to be honest, you are on a hiding to nothing. Even if you sand the new filler with a finer abrasive, you will have a smooth surface next to the heavy "orange peel" effect next to it. You could try to stipple the paint on the filler by stabbing it with a brush, or just sand the walls and use lining paper if you want a clean slate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back