Paint Sprayer - Any Recommendations..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm about to move house and plan to paint pretty much the full house (4200sq ft) with Johnstone's Acrylic Durable Matt. To speed the task up and save on labor time I was going to by a sprayer. Does anyone have any recommendations for the task?

I will also be painting the outside render of the house when the weather improves next year. So it would be a bonus if I could use the sprayer for this task also. However I'm not sure if using a sprayer outside would be wise?!

Many thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
Wagner paint crew plus, 230 quid in screwfix. It's the baby version of the pro tools they do (you have to spend 450 to 700 on those)

I bought one, for similar reasons as you did. I also made a mask shield out of an underfloor heating plate, so I can mask off a section of wall just by holding the shield along the corner joint

Took a couple of hours to get the technique, but I found it very fast and easy to paint with. It doesn't have a pressure control so if it is tailing, you need to thin the paint down

If you paint outside, pick a fairly still day or one with a slight breeze that carries any dust away from the neighbours car/house

Hello mate and many thanks for the reply. Its the Wagner paint crew plus that I have narrowed my search down too, good to hear that this is the machine that you opted for. Nice tip using the underfloor heating plate also ;)

Some of the walls are still unpainted plaster, trust the best route would be to water down some cheap white paint for a quick mist coat?

Also I wondered how much material floats around the room when spraying. Did you find this an issue? I'm a little worried that if I spray with the windows open the spray will cover the frames and roof if opening skylights?

Many thanks,

Devs.

How much dust do you get! Fricken loads of it!

I have a half face mask that's comfortable to wear for long periods and for me it was a must. The dust that settles on things is quite dry and doesn't really stick. I used a damp pan scrub(the foam-and-white kind that are safe for nonstick pans, not the abrasive green ones) and it more or less wiped off. Even the odd bit of overspray on the skylight frames(aluminium) cleaned off easily. Wood would be a bit harder to clean up but if varnished should be a wipe clean too.

If you can't be bothered making a spray shield, have a look at these: http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/d/DO-ALL_TRIM_EDGE_SCRAPER_SPRAY_SHIELD/

I mist coated, but be wary of making the paint too thin. I thinned mine down too much to start and it's like spraying water.. unless you move the gun really quickly you'll get a run.. it's thin so it doesn't cause much buildup but it's visible through subsequent coats. I also found it handy to have a roller loaded with the paint I was spraying and anywhere it ran or I over applied I gave it a quick tickle with the roller before it dried. The other thing you'll find the first couple of coats dry really quickly, couple of minutes or less as the moisture is pulled into the plaster

The machine comes with a comprehensive instruction book including the half hour wash down procedure.. leave yourself plenty of time to finish up and clean up

One minor downside with the machine is the hose locks tight at both ends and doesn't twist because it's rigid pressure hose so it's not easy to rotate /change the gun angle. I found this improved if I left a curl or two in the hose so they would tighten or loosen as I wagged the gun around. Definitely remember to trigger off before you reach the end of the stroke and change direction, overlap your sprays 50/50 and avoid walking round with the gun running. To start I walked the entire length of the wall but found it hard to get an even spray as even the slightest snag o the hose causes it to pause or jump and not deposit evently. Stand still and spray in approx 1.5m widths then reposition. I'm sure if you have a clean unobstructed floor this will be less of an issue. I also put the machine in another room and wore earplugs because it's noisy and tiresome to listen to :)

Think of it like jetwashing, with paint coming out(bit more of a precise pattern but other han that, more or less the same) - they're practically the same machine

Sponsored Links
Mate these are amazing tips and will definitely come in very useful. Funny about the spray, I did imagine that it goes everywhere but hadn’t considered that it would be easy to clean, make sense and reassuring as the house also has aluminium frames that I will no doubt get some paint on.

Cheers for the link to the spray shield, will try and diy one first ;)

Thanks again for the invaluable insight and taking the time to reply.

Devs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back