paint stripper or heat gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all another month and still busy ! ok im outside stripping the paintwork off the windows and im fed up already, im using liquid paint stripper and it is taking ages and messy, should i invest in a heat gun ?( £20 in argos ) im sure it will be quicker ? ive got smoke alarms fitted in the house :LOL: :LOL: would appreciate any views on this.. thanks P M

ive got about 5 layers of paint to remove to the bare wood

Sponsored Links
Heat gun....but be careful of any areas of bare wood, it can catch fire easily.

Always wet the area down when you are stopping work.

Sorry to differ but I always had more success with paint stripper. On stubborn stuff it can take 3 or 4 goes but with patience it does the job. I prefer it to the noise/fumes/scorching/heat of a heat gun. (And you can leave your smoke alarm batteries in). Remember to wear gloves/safety glasses, and ventilate the room.

vote for Hot air gun.

You need a decent power full one, Work quickly to avoid burning the wood.

The trick is to get a lot of heat in there quickly and move on to the next bit ts a bit like brazing or soldering. you quickly get into the sequence where one arm is just in front of the other.

I find liquid strippers are no ineffectine, messy and slow, thanks to HSE.

Kev

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back