Stripping Paint with a Gas Torch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a couple of cast iron sink brackets that need the paint stripping off. There looks to be probably 4 or 5 coats of lumpy white gloss that has been applied over the last 30 years or so.

I've searched on this forum and discovered that liquid paint strippers, the likes of Nitromors etc seem no longer to be very effective ( H&S? )

I reckon the way forward would be a heat gun but I don't have one. Could I / Should I use my propane gas torch as a substitute?

I'd be doing this out in the back garden so fumes shouldn't be a big issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A gas torch will probably be too hot and will scorch/burn the top layer. Years ago I removed lots of paint from skirtings/facings with a heat gun and developed a knack - there was a specific amount of heat which softened the whole lot so it came of easy - too much and it made it worse. No harm in trying tho, it's not as if the cast iron will melt.

I’ve used a blowlamp instead of a heat gun on painted wood; it works if you’re careful. You will need suitably-shaped scraping instruments. There is a danger of things catching fire but it sounds like you’ll be OK outside.

I would worry a bit about cracking the cast iron if it heats unevenly - anyone know?

Strong caustic soda should strip them but cant see why commercial stripper wont work especially if you leave it long enough and wrap the brackets in pollythene to stop it drying too quick?

Sponsored Links
You can still buy methylene chloride paint stripper but not on the high street.

It became a trade/industrial use only product because of concerns about it being carcinogenic.

You can still buy methylene chloride paint stripper but not on the high street.

It became a trade/industrial use only product because of concerns about it being carcinogenic.

I've bought this stuff on Ebay, works well! just make sure you adhere to the safety instructions, its called ''Power Strip''

Thanks for the replies,

Well, I took the brackets to work and put then in one of our industrial ovens. It's only set at 100°c but after a couple of hours the paint had softened enough to peel of reasonably easily.

We used to use methylene chloride at work to strip the bitumen off asphalt samples taken from road jobs. Very potent stuff. Was great at cleaning the oil and grease from our car engines too.

It is also what they use to decaffeinate tea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back