Paint Stripping woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:

Calling all cars!! (Especially Super Zampa!) I've gone and made a right balls up of stripping some woodwork by not cleaning down thouroughly (long night of work, dragged myself of to bed a bit to soon! :oops: ). What can I do to make sure the paint I put on actually sticks and doesn't bubble up? Can I just try washing it down more or will this muck be soaked right into the wood? I haven't tried painting it yet but after I'd filled the gaps in some of the filler wasn't going off properly, leading me to think I've messed up big time... :(

Sponsored Links
Did you leave like a slimy goo over the wood?..and it hardened up?

If so I would get the stripper out again and give it a once over, the reactivate it, this time wash it down with warm soapy water...not hot...the paint stripper fumes in the steam could over power you......

I wouldnt reccomend sanding it off becasue you have a nasty mix of paintstripper residue and old paint....which may coat lead...that will give off a nasty dust.

Use one of those green scouring pads while your rinsing...or better still one of those silver tinny things that are like spirals of metal..

When thats done I would give them a good wash again with white spirit.....the caustic in the stripper must be neutralised before you can paint over it.

If your going to be varnishing it remember to always scrub in the direction of the grain in the wood.

I cant remember the last time I used paint stripper at home..in most cases its easier to pull the wood off and replace it...and cheaper.

Cheers for the reply Zampa ;)

There wasn't much goo as I managed to get the worst off, it seems to be that it's got into all those nooks and crannies around mitres etc. It was the original door architrave that I'd transplanted from my kitchen to the hallway as only that one had been replaced, but was in a pretty bad state. I realise now if I'd stripped it before putting it back on it would have worked out much better :oops:

I'll give it a go as you say, think my mum's got one of those scoury pan metal squiggly things.

After re-activating and scrubbing, will just rubbing white spirit on the wood do the trick then or do I have to drench the wood, like rinsing the whole lot with it?

After re-activating and scrubbing, will just rubbing white spirit on the wood do the trick then or do I have to drench the wood, like rinsing the whole lot with it?

I would use the white spirit to help remove the stripper....so, maybe not drench as such but a bit more than a light rub over.

Sponsored Links
Followed your instructions, gave it a lick of knotting & primer last night and all seems ok :D

Many many thanks Zampa, for your help this time and in all the threads I've read and taken your advice from :D

Beefcake daddy said:
Followed your instructions, gave it a lick of knotting & primer last night and all seems ok :D

Many many thanks Zampa, for your help this time and in all the threads I've read and taken your advice from :D

Thanks...my pleasure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back