paint - trade or retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a project coming up for a friend and was wondering about whether trade paint would be a better buy than the normal stuff for the public.

I now trade paint is cheaper, but friends have told me that it's thinner so you'd need more coats, so works out more expensive in the end. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
think you will find it depends on paint. i.e brand X is thinner than brand Z because it has a differnt use.

if you think about what you have written you are also saying "trade paint" is rubbish, if that were true .....................

annajl said:
I now trade paint is cheaper, but friends have told me that it's thinner so you'd need more coats, so works out more expensive in the end. Is this true?

Do you mean the 'Trade' type stuff from B&Q etc or proper trade paint. The stuff from the sheds is cheap and thin. Try looking for a proper trade paint such as Mcphersons or similar. The former has a 50% solid content which will give good coverage. The DIY outlets aren't very upfront about the solid content of their own brand paints. Personally I think the paint from the sheds is rubbish and won't use it again.

I've always understand that "proper" traded paint is cheaper because a) it's in bigger packs and b) it has less additives (like fungicides and emulsifiers, etc). As such it does not keep very well compared to retail; but that does not matter to a tradesman.

But I can certainly vouch for the fact the Wickes own brand "Trade" paint is useless.

Sponsored Links
go to a johnstones paint shop. they are cheaper and will do colour matching and the quality and coverage of their paint is very good. but i have to say that the duluxtrade white emulsion from a dulux centre tends to cover better than the johnstones. (more pricey though)

Age old question...trade or retail.....

Trade paints tend to cover better than retail...this is because painters need to be able to rely on a paint covering for cost purposes..DIYers can afford to spens a few more hours painting a room for the third or fourth time....when your doing it for a living....you cant.

Retail paints tend to smell a little nicer, and have smoother flow qualites to assist the novice decorator.

In order for a paint to have these qualities paint companies have to leave somthing out....and its normally the pigment...hence less opacity.

As people have mentioned above, the word 'trade is deceiving.....there are quite a few outlets selling 'trade' paint....normally unbranded in big buckets....for about 4 quid....forget it.

Retail paints have a false body...open a tin...turn it upside down and the paint will stay there....give it a stir...and it turns to liquid.

Dulux and Crown are two of the best paint manufacturers in the uk...certainly beating people like Jonstones and Leyland....that said..I would rather use Jonstones or Leyland paint than Dulux or Crowns retai paint..which is a bit on the thin side.

I have always said to people..if it is going to need two coats for it to cover anyway....then just buy the cheapest....within reason...id certainly avoid home brand paints and 'supakuvva' types from the local pound shop!

Another thing to be wary off....'Brilliant whites'....many of the unbranded and budget brands call their paint 'brilliant white'...in most cases it isnt.....its a dirty white....this is because here is no British standard for brilliant white...only 'white' which is 00-e-55

http://www.britpaints.co.uk/Site/there'stradesupe.html

Have a blimp at that.

Hope that helps

Trade paints appear to be thinner, but I think that is because the professional decorator thins them down so that he can apply them quickly and evenly.

Trade paints such as Dulux are formulated to allow thinning for ease of application and flow out as Zampa says you can get one coat with trade and two coats will be a nice solid even coat but 2 coats at least required with retail.
I was tempted once, well £8.99 for 6 ltrs of dulux retail. But it was s...t.

Wow thanks for all your replies. Trade it is then, I think.

I was asking cause I usually buy Crown retail at a trade place (for some unknown reason they don't do "trade paints", but they're more tools than anything else) but they don't have a great selection and I can't colour match properly.

I can now buy Leyland and Dulux trade at a builders merchants, so was thinking this would be a better buy till friends told me otherwise.

I must admit though that I have had a bad experience with Leyland - 6 coats and it still looked unfinished - know not to buy "bargain of the month" paint now :rolleyes:

Thanks again :)

Leyland isnt up to much your right there.....but blow the builders merchants out and buy the paint in paint companys trade centres....they are open to the public.

Builders merchants paint is pricey...sharp and fisher charge about 40 quid for a 5 litre tin of white eggshell...I get it for about 20

Most of the cheaper paint in builders merchants is aimed at builders....who cant paint anyway!...(sorry builders but its a fact) :evil:

i just want to thank you guys for convincing me to try trade paint.

OK i nearly fell over at the price of Dulux trade, even after opening a cash account with them, but i have just managed to half the time taken for decorating (at least!) and improved the finish in one fell swoop.

I also now, due to the minimum paint tin sizes of 2.5l, enough paint for half the house i'm decorating, not just the one room :LOL:

given that there are no fungicides in it, how long to i have to use it up before it's too late?

You will have months and months before it goes off....sometimes a year.

You can buy pack sizes of one litre in most finishes too.

Zampa said:

Not Flat Matt apparently :confused:

Whilst on the topic of trade paints, how does glidden compare to Dulux trade? I noticed that they're both ICI you see, and wondered if anyone uses it.

Anyway, thanks for all your help Zampa :D

annajl said:
Zampa said:

Not Flat Matt apparently :confused:

Whilst on the topic of trade paints, how does glidden compare to Dulux trade? I noticed that they're both ICI you see, and wondered if anyone uses it.

Anyway, thanks for all your help Zampa :D

Dulux do litres of flat matt..not sure about Glidden, but if you want a dead flat matt, you will have to look at the Heritage range.

As for Glidden, its ok I use it quiite a lot if cost is an issus with a customer..the emulsions are good enough.....cant say the same about the white undercoat and gloss though.

When it was lauched it was meant to be the 'big thing' from America...it wasnt and Dulux had to do a lot of re formulating and re marketing to get it going....but unfortunatly from the trades pont of view the damage was done.

One product to be avoided is Dulux aquatec gloss....it takes ages to dry doesnt cover very well, yellows (which is strange for a water based product) and smells like a oil based paint. (allthough it isnt as bad)

I am new to this forum so hello.

I work in a paint shop that basically sells ALL paint from all brands apart from cheap ones like Leyland and Johnstones.

From years and years of customer feedback I have gathered the following confirmed feedback:

1. Trade paint is better than retail paint.
2. Leyland is rubbish.
3. Johnstones is rubbish.
4. Dulux Trade has the best coverage and their new diamond matt is the best paint that a decorator has ever used (although it is just under 40 pounds for 5 Litres)
5. If you're after budget paint then Glidden is your best option - best value for money around
6. Designer paint brands such as Farrow & Ball are not so great on quality but have features that other brands don't have - such as unsurpassed levels of flatness
7. Little Greene paint is becoming very popular, has really nice colours and the quality of it is better than Dulux Trade (and it is only a little more expensive). Additionally, Little Greene acrylic matt is washable whereas Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt is not.

Feel free to ask my any more questions about paint because I know A LOT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back