Paint Walls or Sand Floor First?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently renovating a mid 60's semi detached.
The plasterer is just about to finish up as we have had the entire house replastered top to bottom so we are preparing to go through and apply a mist coat before fully painting.

However, there is nice parquet downstairs throughout under the old carpet and we want to hire a sander and run that over it.

My question is, as I've been told sanding the parquet is an outrageously dusty job, should we do this before we paint the walls?
I am concerned that if I paint the walls first, the dust from sanding the parquet will cling to the walls and make it look terrible.

What are your recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Sand first. Cover with x board. Only use low tack masking on wood floor. Masq purple or even less tack the tesa pink.
I've also used felt roll floor protector on wooden floors

Sand first. Cover with x board. Only use low tack masking on wood floor. Masq purple or even less tack the tesa pink.
I've also used felt roll floor protector on wooden floors
Many thanks for the advice, that's superb. I had not heard of X Board before but looks great and stocked at our local Toolstation, same with the tapes you suggest.

As you may be able to tell, we are completely new to renovating so learning as we go. Your advice was just what I was after.

Sponsored Links
Watch the handle don't pull out the drum part on first outing. Happened to me but I caught sander. Mate had same problem and sander hit skirting before digging in floor then cable wrapped around drum before going bang.

Watch the edging sander with copper pipes.

Last edited:
As above definitely sand before painting.
We have now done a number of parquet floors mostly using second hand blocks.
We now always hook up a decent vacuum to sander really helps keep dust down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back