Paint yellowing over a month problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a pretty bad experience using dulux fast drying gloss. It dried brill. white. all went well, until a month later when it started yellowing until it stopped at "butter yellow" :(

I sent a paint sample to dulux who acknowledeged their was a fault in the paint. is it safe to use it again? anyone else hadt the same problem?

I'm busy preping the wood outside while the weather is ok.
should i use the normal drying paint and keep off the fast drying?

is it safe to dip into a new paint pot? :confused:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally when something is labelled fast drying its water based, is that the case with the stuff you used?

I've not heard of acrylics yellowing, so what exactly did Dulux say? and are we talking interior or exterior?

Personally anything from Dulux thats water based i stay clear of (except emulsion) as the finish isn't good enough. I've always used oil based paints on externals, weathershield is still good, Johnstones stormshield is well rated and sikkens XD is very good as well. I'm not that up to date with WB external glosses so would be interested if anyone else on here has found a good one

I too use oil-based for exterior work (on the basis of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'), but our local independent paint retailer/DIY store owner painted the outside of his shop (and his own boat) in Johnstone's Aqua Satinwood over a year ago now and the shop front at least is still looking good. I always inspect it closely every time I go!

Sponsored Links
Dulux always say it was their fault - they don't like bad publicity. You can rest assured it wasn't the paint at fault.

Johnstones Aqua is an excellent paint, so are their acrylic gloss and satin systems.

Dec

They were actually out of stock in the big Decorator Centre last week - it's selling like crazy.

Are you moving towards WB then Dec?

Been using them for a while now joe, and I think that johnstones are starting to lead the way regarding both their finish and application, whilst they are not quite there yet. I believe that they have turned that all important corner that others have failed to get around.

Dec

What undercoat/primer do you recommend over OB gloss?

I've had a pretty bad experience using dulux fast drying gloss. It dried brill. white. all went well, until a month later when it started yellowing until it stopped at "butter yellow" :(

I sent a paint sample to dulux who acknowledeged their was a fault in the paint. is it safe to use it again? anyone else hadt the same problem?

I'm busy preping the wood outside while the weather is ok.
should i use the normal drying paint and keep off the fast drying?

is it safe to dip into a new paint pot? :confused:

many thanks

I've just noticed the same problem at our house and I found this first : //www.diynot.com/forums/decora...e-paint-fades-to-yellow.319289/page-3#2387150
.....before I found your post!! ;)

Seems like many of us are having the same problem eh!? :rolleyes:

Good luck :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back