Paintbrush or Roller for Painting Ceiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you had to paint a newly plastered ceiling, would you use a paintbrush or roller, and why?

Sponsored Links
both,brush for cutting in,and the roller to cover a large area quickly so you dont have join lines in it.

Gregers - do you know Forest Row by chance :?: Anyway- the Walhatch Hotel used to be in the middle of the village and the owner would not have a roller near the place :LOL: I remember me and Dad on a scaffold plank hop up - brushing the new ceiling in the dining room one late 60`s summer . 6 and 7 inch brushes - earned my pocket money then :LOL: . No join lines either

According to me, you should use brush for roof painting. It will take time but will give better result. Roller should be used for second paint coat as small pore impressions are formed by rollers and sometime paint is not applied properly. Plaster will be reflected if roller is used at initial stage.

Sponsored Links
It's all about cost and time on most jobs. If you have a five bedroom house to paint for example, a roller will cover those ceilings in a fifth of the time a brush would take to do it. You would have to charge the customer a lot more money to brush the ceilings because of the amount of labour involved and most customers wouldn't want that.

It's all about cost and time on most jobs. If you have a five bedroom house to paint for example, a roller will cover those ceilings in a fifth of the time a brush would take to do it. You would have to charge the customer a lot more money to brush the ceilings because of the amount of labour involved and most customers wouldn't want that.

I agree but if you want enhanced product (mainly for newly prepared walls) then I think don’t bother about amount of money you spend.

Depends on the size of the ceiling, I mainly use a paint brush for the whole job. By the time you paint all the edging, half of the ceiling is already finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back