what roller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls I need to paint have been rollered by the previous owner. I always use a paintbrush but have been told that even if I do I will never lose the orange peel effect that iis already there. So I am resigned to having to use a roller on these walls, but what type? Does expensive really mean better?. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Rollers are far better for walls than brushes. Any emulsion roller will do and is much easier if you use one of those roller handles that look like a brush pole. Pro decorators ALWAYS use a roller for walls.

joe

Hello Michaela..nice to see you back again..

Yes the type of roller sleeve does make a huge difference..forget the DIY shops...the ones they do have a smaller diameter.

Go to a trade outlet crown dulux etc..and get a decent roller..shouldnt cost you more than 4 squid and ask for a short pile woven fibre roller sleeve...they are lighter to use and wash out easier when your done..and you get a nice finish with them.

If you get stuck e mail me

Thanks to Joe-90 and Zampa, I always thought professional decorators used a brush. I've painted the insides of two houses now with a brush (think of all that time wasted when I could have been having much more fun!!). I'll get one of those rollers at our local paint trade centre and give it a go. Many thanks once again.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with using a brush Mik...personally I think you can get a far superior finish with a brush...flatter more depth of colour and it looks more traditional too..well depending on the style of house of course.

And theres no pint in brushing if the surface has been rolled previously..the combination of the two looks really horrible.

But you'l be fine with a woven pile sleeve go for the 1 3/4 diameter arm..not the 1 /14 inch DIY version...and for a nine inch one...as oposed to a seven those extra couple of inches make all the difference..

Oh and how you use it of course... :evil:

Good luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back