Painted gloss stick tacky after three weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a decorator out last month who painted all of our varnished woodwork white. He used Zinzer B.I.N, then a primer and finally some Armstead Vinyl Matt. It all looks great but there's a couple of issues.

The first is after three weeks the pain is tacky to touch. It doesn't come off in your hands, but it's like it hasn't fully cured. In some places, like skirting, dust is sticking to it and isn't wiping off with a duster.

The second problem is that when you close a door, because the paint is still tacky, when you open doors they're sticking and occasionally pulling bits of paintwork off.

Just wondering why this might be happening?

Can I go out and buy another product and just paint over it?

Sponsored Links
Why did he use vinyl Matt on woodwork?

If the job is not up to your standard (you paid him for it) then you need to get him back to make it right.

Month on we still have sticky gloss, especially where he's painted over caulk. We have doors that are sticking like crazy and seem to be getting worse, and dust/dirty is clinging to the top of skirts boards.

is there anything I can do, even if it means re-painting?

Sponsored Links
Month on we still have sticky gloss, especially where he's painted over caulk. We have doors that are sticking like crazy and seem to be getting worse, and dust/dirty is clinging to the top of skirts boards.

is there anything I can do, even if it means re-painting?

Armstead paints are made by AkzoNobel, same manufacturer that makes Dulux.

I would suggest ringing up their technical department and ask for advice. If you have the paint can still you might be able to get the product code and batch number from it.

I had a problem last year with a Dulux light oak varnish, same problem, it stayed sticky. -they were very helpful, they checked their records to see if any other complaints which might indicate a batch fault.

In the end they told me to wipe the surface with white spirit -which helped a tiny bit. It did eventually dry.

I would speak to them before trying anything in case you make it worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back