Painted wall cracking

Sponsored Links
The paint is clearly failing to adhere to the substrate.

What sort of paint is it (make and type?)

What sort of surface is under the paint and what preparation was done prior to painting?

The paint (Dulux Matt Emulsion) was applied with a roller pretty evenly.
The wall was replastered about year and a half ago, we painted it with two coats of white and two coats of the Dulux Matt Emulsion back then (after the wall had fully dried out) and had no issues.

Earlier this year we decided to move some light switches and sockets on the wall, so had to cut new chases, these were filled with Easi-Fill and left for a good two weeks before sanding. Then I gave the wall a coat of the Dulux again and this happened.
The weird thing is that pretty much all the refilled chases were fine, apart from a couple of bits. There were also other areas that flaked off that we hadn't even filled. When it did flake off it took off both sets of paint and went right back to the plaster.

I'm going to have to use filler on those bits to try and get the wall even again, but don't want to fall into the same trap. We've done a lot of chasing of cables and painting over with similar paint over the past 2 years and haven't seen anything like this before.
The only other thing I thought it might be was that maybe I didn't clean down the wall enough after sanding and some fine plaster dust reacted with the paint and caused the issue. I'm clutching at straws though.

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
That extra info makes things clearer for us.

It is very likely that the dust has caused an adhesion issue but also you state that when you painted the new plaster 18 months ago you applied two coats of white. Was the first coat a mist coat?

The reason for mist coating isn't necessarily just to allow you first finish coats to adhere (which often appear to be fine) but also to avoid issues like you have encountered further down the line when you redecorate.

The best thing you can do now is to scrape off the loose flaking paint back to a sound edge, mist coat the bare areas, fine surface fill to feather in the proud edges, re-mist the filler and then repaint the whole area.

No, it was misted. I'll bear that in mind for future jobs. Thanks for the assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back