Painting a ceiling woes....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm hoping that some of you fine people can send some suggestions my way as I'm at the end of my tether!

We are currently doing up our new house. The lounge ceiling has been skimmed (by a very good and trusted plasterer) and I have mist coated it with diluted matt emulsion. All good and the mist coat adhered well.

So onto the top coats. Nothing flashy, just wanted a solid matt finish.
We bought Crown Pure Brilliant White Matt Emulsion and off we went. The Mrs did the first coat in one direction and it looked ok. Simple enough we thought, time for what we thought would be a second and final coat.
I then painted the opposite direction, which is in line with how the natural light enters through the bay window.

Came back the next day....stripes and patches everywhere. I've since repeated the above steps but everytime I can see it drying and forming patches/lines. I'm working quickly, using an extendable pole with a 12" roller. Working in smaller sections. I'm fading my lines. I've tried both short and medium pile rollers. I've left the roller in the scuttle to really soak up the paint, not applied too much pressure, gone back for regular refills and......still the same result. Even the Mrs did a coat as I thought it may have just been me and it came out ok when she did the intial first coat...but no. Lines and patches.

Today, I thought that perhaps it's still drying too fast so watered the paint down and had another go. Whilst I'd say there was a slight improvement, it's still very noticable.

It's really obvious from the front door when you enter the lounge with the light from the window I know it would drive me mad.

I didn't have this issue when I painted my ceilings in my previous place, which I just used a 9" roller, on a step ladder and using B&Q cheap paint! The ceiling there came out great!

Unless I'm missing something really obvious the only thing left to try is another paint? I always thought Crown was ok? Has anyone else used it before and experienced similar?
Should I bin it and go for something else? The ceiling is approx 13.5 square meters.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Crown non-trade emulsion is rubbish, it's like milk, and doesn't cover at well.

I have used Crown Obliterating emulsion which covered well, and didn't leave any stripes or roller marks.

This business with emulsion showing patches, stripes, lines was always believed to be poor technique, but it seems to be a problem more often now with experienced DIYers, so it does make you wonder if they've done something to the paint, in some attempt to make it safer perhaps.

I had a wall at my place which I re-did very recently (owing to a repair). Stripes and patches, until I used the remains of some 20 year old emulsion - result: perfect.

Before trying again, be sure to give the surface a very, very light rub down where possible overlaps may be, in case these show through again.

What exactly was the product you used?

Something very fine, you don't want to scratch or damage what you have already done. Remember to dust off.

Sponsored Links
Rollers are dreadful things , use a good 6 inch Emulsion Brush like the real decorators do .

Hi all,

So went with the Dulux Trade Supermatt. Two coats, watered down following the instructions on the tin...perfect ceilings. No lines or patches anywhere.

Won't be buying Crown again...

Rollers are dreadful things , use a good 6 inch Emulsion Brush like the real decorators do .
Like they did......most are dead now, well my father and grandfather are, and my arms won't work above my head. Walls I do sometimes to keep my hand in;)

Well I thought about a scaffold and doing it like Michaelangelo in the Cistine (y)

Its called framing and Ive had so many miserable times with painting ceiling after coming across the professional painters forum I was introduced to Tikkurelia Anti reflex. Utterly amazing not one line works a treat. Shame I have to redo the living room now as I used Johnstones on that and looks awful. Using a good roller - I used a mini roller as the area was fine for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back