Painting a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, another newbie here, I have introduced myself in the newbie section.

It would be appreciated if someone could advise on the following:-

I intend painting my newly plastered kitchen ceiling and walls.

I intend using Gliddens contract matt for the mist coat on both the ceiling and walls. Can anyone advise on what percentage of water I should add?

Can anyone advise on some really decent top notch paint for the ceiling (white) and walls (Magnolia). I dont mind shelling out a few quid as long as the finish is excellent. I wish to have a matt finish thats really decent.

Some help would really be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Submariner

Sponsored Links
You can thin the Glidden out by at least 25% for the first one no problem..

No more than 35 though.

As for the finish..most branded matt paints will do the same job for you, the main thing you need to concern yourself with is the equipment you use to put the paint on.

Dont skimp on this and youll be fine..

Id suggest a 9 inch cage frame and a short woven pile sleeve from a trade shop.

IMO the best finish is with a brush, but its not as easy for the DIYer to achieve.

Thanks Zampa,

I especially note the comments about tools, I am sure with anything its as much about technique and tools as it is the product being applied

What is Dulux Diamond trade like and is it suiatble for use in kitchens?? Is it breathable?? Does it need to be breathable etc?

Cheers

Submariner

Sponsored Links
Personally I cant stand the stuff...I had a bad time on a job with it a few years ago and a right run in with Dulux over it.

I was uing it over two finishes...matt and silk one was from Leyland the other from Crown...after I cut the wall in I began to roll it and it pulled the cutting in off.

When I contacted Dulux they said it was because I used it over silk...I then told them I had also used it over matt so that was the end of that theory!...then they said it was because I used it over Leyland..I then told them I had also used it over Crown...they tried the same excuse, so I said in that case you are suggesting that your paint isnt compatable with any other??...they knew they were clutching at staws and refunded my money.

Since then I know of a few other dekkies that have had grief with it.

The finish isnt completly matt either it has a slight sheen and the surface isnt as smooth as a matt emulsion.

Some rate it some dont..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back